Monday, November 12, 2007

In Keeping with the Movie Theme - Rocky






Mickey: Why do you have to wear that stinkin' sweat suit?
Rocky Balboa: It brings me luck, you know?
Mickey: Brings you luck. I'll tell you what it brings - it brings FLIES! Now here's what I want you to do - I want you to chase this little chicken.
Rocky Balboa: Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.
Rocky Balboa: Well, I'll do it if you say so, but it ain't very mature.
Mickey: Yeah, well NEITHER ARE YOU, very mature!

You can never get enough of Rocky, admit it. Despite the over dramatic scenes and seemingly predictable endings (What? You mean Rocky pulled it out again in the end?), the Rocky series provides tons, I mean tons, of good motivational quotes. Not to mention the funny ones aimed to point out that The Rock may have taken a few too many to the head.

Gazo: How's about investing in condominiums? It's safe.
Rocky Balboa: Condominiums?
Gazo: Yeah, condominiums.
Rocky Balboa: I never use 'em.

But what we see in the first quote is Mick attempting to get Rocky in shape for his fight. Both have their own unconventional beliefs about what works. Rocky has his lucky sweat suit while Mick has his old fashioned chicken chasing workout. Both believe strongly in them because they are reliable, a little off but reliable.

I’ve gone down both roads. I’ve worn clothes and shoes out until there are holes in both, and now I noticed that in all of my tri pics I have the same hat on. Go ahead and look up at my header. All the same hat. It's blue and fits the noggin perfectly. I’ve got to give it it’s due. It’s been a good hat. It’s made by Sweatvac and does a pretty good job at living up to it’s name, but it’s time for a change. I recently picked up a new Zoot Sports visor that I’ll sport as long as the weather is nice. It’s going to take some breaking in, but I’m sure it’ll do nicely. It may even smell a little better. You never know.

As for the second part of the quote, I’ve run the same route through the neighborhood so many times that I think that I could do it blindly. There are a couple of established routes throughout town that are hot spots for runners throughout the week, and I’ve used them both way too much. It’s gotten a little old chasing the same chicken. It’s time for a change. It's time for a new chicken. With as much running as I’ve been doing it’s merely a matter of keeping my sanity and fighting off the monotony. So with this, I sign off and head over to mapmyrun.com to look for a few more routes. Thanks for reading!

Marathon Training Update for the week of Nov 5 - 11
Mon – Core and strength
Tues – Track work – 3 miles total
Wed – 5 easy (40 min)
Thurs – 7 tempo (7:10)
Fri – Core and strength
Sat – Rest
Sun – 14.5 miles – 1:46:20 (7:20 pace)
Total miles – 29.5

4 comments:

rocketpants said...

Always good to mix things up...it makes things seem a little newer and bring some new insight which helps with some of the monotony I'm sure.

Crash said...

You are in such a better position than I am going into the 26.2

Dances with Corgis said...

always loving the rocky stoke :)

Crash said...

Dude - it is time to put up a new post. I'm tired of looking at the Italian Stallion