Monday, July 31, 2006

Triathlons

This is my third season to compete in triathlons. I'm still very much a beginner in ability and knowledge. I've thoroughly enjoyed the process of training, buying gear (cause I'm a gear head), and competing against others and myself. I feel like an animal and walk around a little prouder of myself because of what I've been able to accomplish. Pride lasts for all of only 2 legs of the race for me as I see competitor after competitor pass me on the run portion. I've struggled so much with having enough energy to complete the races. I know now that it comes down to nutrition. I need more calories and better planning on what I eat.

I love race day. I love seeing the various types of people competing in the races. People of all shapes and sizes show up and compete (Now of course the elite are all specimens of health and fitness, but the average athlete still looks like they could lose a few). There's an incredible energy in the air prior the start. During the race, as I move from one discipline to the next, I feel like an animal adapting to the circumstances. I'm slowly but surely luring my friends into the sport. My next race is only 12 days away. It's in Guntersville, AL. I'm going to this race with a little something to prove. My last two races were disappointing. As I mentioned, the run portion of the race has killed me. This time, I'm going in a little better prepared. It's a shorter race than the one I completed a few weeks ago so I should be ready physically. Calories, calories, calories will be my mantra. One more full week of hard training, then a tapering week before the race. Race season is winding down, and it's killing me.

No comments: