Monday, July 02, 2007

NECTAR? I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW HER!

Afternoon to all. Let me give you a recap on the weekend that was and also give you some thoughts on this coming week.
Saturday started off early with a trip out to Oak Mtn to meet up with Mary Rebecca (who’s promised to start a blog soon) and my boy Daniel for a swim and a bike ride. Both are gifted athletes and couldn’t be any nicer. After Saturday’s swim, I had a bit of a revelation. During most swim portions of a race, I tend to freak out a bit and get off my rhythm. I never get comfortable. I don’t know how fast I’m going or how to gage my progress. Overall, I swam ok, but I spent too much time worrying about my pace than I did relaxing and finding my groove. If you’re not relaxed, then you’re just fighting and expending too much energy. I definitely need more practice time in the open water.

Saturday afternoon, Lauren and I met my parents up at a different lake for a little grillin and relaxing, which is not always possible with my 3 year old nephew but we had a good time. Every time we head up to this particular lake, we go through the little town of Nectar, Al. It’s almost as big as my left big toe so you have to be careful or you’ll miss it.

Sunday is always yellow jersey day. On my Sunday rides I sport my replica Discovery Malliot Jaune in honor of the Kid from Austin, TX with 7 Tour wins under his belt. I’ve been doing so for the last couple of weeks as I’m getting ready to watch the 2nd biggest sporting event of the year. I’m speaking of none other than the Tour De France which starts this Saturday. (note: College Football will always remain number 1).

I’m really stoked about this year’s Tour. There are just a few Americans with a chance of finding themselves on the podium after the 3 week event. They all ride for great teams with a lot of experience. There are a few contenders out of Spain and Kazakhstan that would love to put an end to America’s 8 consecutive win streak. They both have wait it takes to make that happen. Can’t wait!

So this week should be a good one. Lot’s of training on the table as I get ready for my next race toward the end of this month. I’m concentrating on finishing my runs hard and not blowing it all on my bike. Congrats to Paul in CA for his 11th OA and 5th AG finish in the San Diego International. Dude’s a stud.

3 comments:

Allez said...

I've never watched any of the Tour! Am I the only "cyclist" that doesn't watch it??? I'll pass on football too :-)

Crash said...

yeah - I too am ready for the tour to start.

Paul said...

Thanks for the props. The tour should be interesting this year. The title of this post sound like some army of darkness reference :)