Friday, May 09, 2008

Bike Commuting


Alright, so everyone knows this is National Bike Month right? Which off the bat begs the question, when is National Swim or Run Month? Equal rights for all sports is what I say. Given that during National Bike Month people are urged to commute to work instead of driving, I'll pass on having National Swim Month for the simple fact there are no major or minor waterways close to my house or work. So this week, I was able to commute to work twice via the almighty Madone, including this morning. It hasn't been that difficult to do considering the distance from my front door to my office door is 2.16 miles. Yeah, I'm spoiled. I admit it, but it's the thought that counts right? I've designated these bike days as being swim days at the pool since I can just about see my gym's pool from my office window. I should probably just walk right, but alas that's less time on the bike.

So Wednesday on my way home from work, this dude pulls up beside me on his cross bike all decked out in appropriate riding gear while I'm dorking it up in dress pants, golf shirt and leather shoes. We talk for a bit, and I find out he's riding 26 miles to work each day. Every day. Suddenly, my 2.16 mile commute didn't seem that green and gas conscious after all. I applaud the guy, cause I couldn't do it. It's pretty easy in May, but come July and August it's gonna be down right nasty hot here.

So whatever your situation, give commuting on your bike a shot. Even if it's just one time or just down the street. I've enjoyed the heck out of it.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I was just strategizing last night while riding the trainer how I could ride at least home from work a couple times a week. It would have to involve either a carpool or public transit to work which would subtract $20 in gas each week and add 40miles to the bike. We have great bike paths/routes everywhere around here except for that 20 miles stretch, of course!

Crash said...

Just checking in Home Slice. Dig the post on the bike month. In theory, I think I could pull off the swim to work...