Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Have A Confession

First, man it's been a long time since I've posted. It hasn't been a planned hiatus, but I will admit content has been lacking. Maybe it stems from being a bit disenfranchised with triathlons. For a while, I couldn't read enough about racing, gear, and nutrition. I never missed a tri mag issue or a tri-related Internet article. Currently, I haven't read an article or listened to a tri-pod cast in over a month. I haven't had the desire. As for training, it's still limited to 5 hours a week. I've really missed not being able to compete in the usual races this year. I've refused to go out and put in a bad performance or one that I'm not at my best. 5 hours isn't enough. So what have I been doing? Other than working my butt off and traveling a good bit, I'm still in the pool, I'm still on my bike (some), and I'm still getting the miles in. Just not as much.
It's been a bit disappointing, but honestly the reason things are the way they are has been absolutely worth it. Lauren and I are still working on starting a family so that takes priority. Maybe more on that in the future.
I need to report though that my good friend Gary completed his first triathlon last month. It ws a sprint race just north of here. It was his second attempt to complete a triathlon as his first race ended prematurely with a flat tire. He put in a great time and had a blast. I don't think he's stopped smiling yet.
My confession? I raced too. It was a small enough race far enough away from home that I felt comfortable giving it a go. I hadn't put in many bricks so I had no idea how I'd do off the bike. My fears proved to be correct. Although, I had my best swim ever and was in 11th place OA coming off of the bike, I collapsed on the run. I finished up 22nd. Just a sign of not having enough training. The race was too heavy on the run side. I needed a few more miles on the bike to put more distance between myself and those that can just run faster than I could. It was fun, but it was such a reminder of how much I've lost.
So for now, I'll continue to train as I am able. I may pick up a few running races here and there, but nothing longer than a 10k. I hope every one's summer is going well. I look forward to catching up on your blogs and your season.

Tail winds....

2 comments:

Molly said...

Missed you Matt!
Glad you gave the race a go...I opened a Dove chocolate the other day, and they all have these little messages inside, and the message inside this one said, Don't think about it so much. As funny as finding importance out of a chocolate wrapper is, that really hit home with me. I am passing that THOUGHT (haha) onto you too!
Take Care

Oly said...

You don't need me to tell you that your doing the right thing for the right reasons, but I am, and you are.

Glad you were able to get out and race a bit.

Peace.