Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Training & Goals Update

Training and Goals Update –
After Saturday’s race, I found myself back at it with a few small goals in mind. Short Term goal: On the 23rd of this month, I’m heading up to Guntersville, Al to compete in a short Du (3mi/16.2/1mi) on the ever popular Mountain Lakes Course. This is a fast course, so hopefully with a little practice I’ll be able to make it a little faster. The Du ends with a 1 mile run, so my goal is to be able to get off the bike with strong enough legs to finish out on a sprint. During my last two races, I haven’t felt as strong coming off the bike. Over the next couple of weeks I’m going to be concentrating on this.
Just one month later is the ever popular Heart of Dixie Oly in Philadelphia, MS. The run is a 7 mile death march, and I’m looking to make it go by quickly. Building on my short term goal I hope to be able to complete this run for once. I’ve historically had to walk a good portion of the time during this run. Not this time.
Finally, long term goal – I’ve found another ½ Iron to do before the year’s end. If every thing works out ok, then on Sept. 30th I’ll be in Greenwood, SC busting my “ars” to redeem my performance at the Rock N’ Rollman two weeks ago.
As for Training, this week has been productive so far. Yesterday I surprised myself and actually completed an hour run on the dreadmill. Inspired by TriJack completing a 20 MILE RUN on the machine, I thought I’d give it a try. The result was 8.08 miles at a 7:25 pace. I can’t imagine doing 20. Jack, you’re still the man in my book.
Also yesterday, I made it over to Homewood Cycles for the regular Tuesday night ride. We had @ 30 cyclists show up for this terribly hot 29 mile ride. Two other cyclists and I successfully completed a breakaway last night from the peloton for the 8.2 mile section of Ruffner and John Rodgers. I had a blast and learned a lot from the two guys I rode with.
Overall, I’m feeling really good and fairly strong. I still have a lot to work on, but that’s what makes it fun. Hope all is well.

5 comments:

DV said...

the key is to avoid looking the eyes of all the people giving you dirty looks for being on the dread more than the 30 min cap...
nice plan - sc race s hould be much cooler than the macon race - great time of year there...

Molly said...

I am the master of avoiding the eyes of those around me when my thirty minute max rolls around. My philosophy...if there is one other machine open then I'm going 'till I drop! I need to learn to run outside - maybe we can trade tips!

Your plan sounds very impressive...you could still squeeze in the Waterfront tri too!

Take Care
Molly

Bullet said...

Yeah, Chatt's Waterfront is the week before my Oly in Philly. I want to do that race one day. You can't beat swimming with the current of the river.

Cliff said...

20 miles on the dreadmill?

U gotta be kidding me...

I like that 1 mile run after the bike. My last Dual, I rode so hard, both of my calves cramped after the bike....I still finsh off with a decent run..go figure :)

Dances with Corgis said...

Woah, 20 miles on the treadmill? I feel accomplished when I hang on it for 6! :o