Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Update on a Good Week


This week has been work focused if nothing else, but I have stayed true to my second love (Don't worry Lauren, you are my first) and kept my training strong and consistent. The highlight of the week so far has been my swimming. Things are really starting to come together for me in the pool. I don't know if it's the new goggles, the saline pool, or the warmer weather. Cause it sho nuff ain't the athlete. For whatever reason, I'm faster and my endurance has never been better. I knocked out a mile today in 28 minutes which I'm still thumping my chest about. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not that far, but considering my 1.2 miler in my two previous HIMs hovered around 40 minutes, I'm pretty freaking pleased with myself. I will have to give a bit of credit to the Blinkster for his innovative breathing pattern he mentioned. My endurance and speed have shot up considerable since getting more O2 in the system. Check out his blog which is linked on the right to read more about it.
A buddy of mine and I have started throwing around the idea of running an Ultra Relay this fall in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We'd have a team of 6 complete a 208 mile course from Grayson County, VA to Asheville, NC. We'll basically run a 10k segment, rest for 3 or 4 hours, then run another 10K. We'll each run 6 segments all around the 10k distance. Looking over the elevation changes in the route leaves me feeling a bit weak in the knees. It's crazy hilly. I'm mean like mountain goat hilly. Needless to say, if we choose to do it, tri's may have to take a back seat which will absolutely suck. Stay tuned for more on that.
Just for FUN: Let's take a quick test in learning to heed warnings. Don't look at this. You'll thank me.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Would that be breathing every other stoke? Good work. Stick with it.

Oly said...

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!

I should not have looked! Yikes! Your a sick pup. :)

Molly said...

OMG 1 mile in 28 minutes is GREAT!
I am weak...now I wish I had listed and never looked!
Take CAre

TriDaddy said...

Damn! I looked. One day, I'll learn my lesson.

I'm considering that relay myself. I heard it's great. I did my first relay (Run for Africa, renamed Blue Planet Run this year) last year and survived. I think it takes a different training approach than typical week of tri or run training. Running 6 10K's with a break between each I think is harder than running 60K straight because in my opinion your body waits till you are finished racing to start recovering, but with a relay, your body is tricked into thinking you're recovering, when all of a sudden you start running again. My plan this year would be to string a couple of days together where I run a few miles in the morning, then again in the evening, then again the next morning to teach my body to adapt to the process just before the race.