Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Helloooo Humidity!

Well, Spring is officially over in Birmingham. It was so short, I hardly even remember what it was like. The days of the 78 degree high are a thing of the past. Oh, times they are a changing. The past few weeks have been laced with intermittent thunder boomers and hard rains that have brought back our good ole friend Humidity to our fair town. It seems that with this onslaught any whisper that could be considered a breeze has left town on the first available bus. I know, I know, if I don't like it, move right? No chance.
The past few weeks have been good to me though. I've found a new route to run through town or at least rediscovered an old route to run. It's a 6 mile route that takes me along the ridge of Red Mtn with plenty of ups and downs. It's a little more intense of a run than what I've been running, but by doing it I hope to continue to work on my leg strength. As a result, I can already tell a big difference in my cycling. I took out for a 32 mile ride this weekend on the same loop that made me weep at my poor performance just a couple of months ago. This time, I could really feel a difference in my legs and the speed showed. My climbing isn't quite up to par, but I don't consider myself an embarrassment to the sport any more. Despite getting absolutely poured for about 10 minutes it was a great ride. My goal was to push the speed the entire time. The legs were there, and I loved it.
This weekend, I'm taking a few friends with me to Oak Mtn to do a little practice tri for Buster Britton. For BB, I'll be body marking and acting as a sherpa for my friend who is doing his first tri ever. I'm really excited about seeing him cross the finish line as this will more or less be a celebration of his transformation from a 230 pound couch potato to a 165 pound machine. Can't wait to post about his race and show you before and after pictures.
Take care everyone and tailwinds to all!

4 comments:

Molly said...

With you oon the weather...left the house at 7:00 on Saturday morning and I was still drenched when I got home!
Take Care

rocketpants said...

humidity is no fun!

I hope you and your friend have tons of fun at the race!!

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh God, it just got CRAZY humid here the last few days too....

Oly said...

I know this is late but I hope it went weel for your friend. The "machine!"