Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tagged By A Noodle

Well, I've been tagged by a Noodle, a Tough Noodle at that. So check out her blog and read below the results of my five questions.
1- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
Well, that would make me 23 and more interested in drinking beer and Disco Hell night than running. I really didn't get into running until I found myself having to go buy a pair of 36 inch waist pants. (I wear a size 31 now) That was enough to scare me into getting back into shape. Being stocky and possessing a severe case of cankles, running wasn't always quick, but my competitive side is a nasty one so improvement came quickly. Then as every other red-blooded insecure boy would do, I hit the weight room. I wanted to be thick and lift as much weight as necessary to impress the lady-folk. The result, a body that wasn't conducive to running, especially not triathlon. I quickly changed my focus and goals after seeing the results of dropping a few pounds. I started racing just below the clydesdale level (although I had hit a peak of 208 pounds). This past year I raced at 158. Right now I'm carrying a few more pounds, but I'm very happy where I am. Running has become a ritual and a much enjoyed aspect of my life. It enables me to clear my mind and helps me to go into the day a bit more focused already having felt like I've accomplished something.
2-What is your best and worst run/race experience?
This is and easy one. I've had some pretty bad runs which quickly come to mind. We won't touch on the ones which include the sudden need to go boom boom. That's another post. We'll focus on the ones where everything just fell apart. In 2006, I was racing the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon in Philadelphia, MS in JULY, in MISSISSIPPI. In JULY! Needless to say it was hot, and I was feeling every bit of the 95+ degree heat and 100% humidity. Both hamstrings started cramping just after the one mile mark. With 6 more miles to go, the rest would be a death march. I've never wanted to quit a race before in my life until that day. My wife followed me along to track my progress. The shame of having her see me struggle was killing me. I limped in, but thanks to the worst run of my life I posted my slowest time of the 4 years I'd competed in the race.
The best? Same race, 2007. I'd marked this day on my calendar that day I made it back home from the race in 2006. I went in better prepared and fully juiced on electrolytes. In 2006, I completed the 7 miles in 1:13:24. In 2007, I did it in 47:54 and finished third in my age group. It was a much better day.
3- Why do you run?
Well, some days it's because it's the only thing that will get me to the finish line of a triathlon. But mainly, it's because I have to. Don't read that to mean that I regret having to run. What I mean is that I have to run in the same way that I have to breathe. I love my wife not because she's beautiful or because of the things she does for me. I love her because my heart tells me I have no choice. It loves her for what she is. I run for everything that it is. It's a gift.
4- What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Best - To race fast, you have to train fast. Don't show up on race day expecting to find some special adrenalin based speed. You gotta pay for speed. It only comes with training.
5- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
I read anything and everything I can get my hands on about Ancient Rome.
I sing in the shower, enjoy playing shooter style video games, and running makes me fart. That's why I run alone.

So let's tag some folks. Everyone racing CDA this weekend gets a break. So let's hear from my favorite Chattanoogan, Molly (who needs to break away from facebook), Dr. Tri Jack, and the newly crowned Ironman David. Let's hear it.

Tailwinds....

2 comments:

Lori said...

Well, that was an awesome post.
I absolutely love your answer to the question # 3 ("why do you run?")
All the responses to "How would you describe your running 10 years ago?" have been interesting!

RE: the heat of that triathlon in 06.
Competing in heat like that can be scary! I prefer warmer weather, but on the other hand I've had a bad episode of heat exhaustion before that put me down for several days. (Not at all a good experience and taught me to be more careful.)
What a comeback you had the next year!
Thanks for answering the questions,I enjoyed reading your answers!

Lori

Molly said...

Interesting 10 years ago story...I sing in the shower and (ahem) I fart when I run too which is not so nice for the person on the treadmill next to me!
I will accept my tag soon (now back to facebook)
Take Care