Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best News of 2008 Yet

Almost 2 years ago now, a good friend of mine decided to take control of his health and weight. "GJ" is about my age. At the time, he weighed in around 220 on a 5'9" frame. Growing up he always struggled with his weight. This left him feeling more like a wallflower than a player in the game. Knowing GJ has been one of the greatest pleasures in life. He is and always will be like a brother to me. He can be very animated and headstrong when he's passionate about something. This has lead to many successes in life, but also some very hilarious moments when he gets upset enough to write a scathing letter to ABC for interupting "The Mole" with Presidential election updates.
Back to the story.... so 2 years ago, GJ decided to start a work out program. He started with simply running on the weekends with the goal of completing his first 5K in the future. GJ completed his first 5K in 33 minutes. He set small goals including small rewards for reaching those goals. Slowly but surely his weight started dropping. In his next 5K he dropped 2 minutes off his time and kept getting closer to his goal of getting under 200 lbs. About the time that he hit that goal he hired a training to help him work on building muscle to replace the fat. Being a fan that prides himself in his style, GJ found himself having to treat himself to a new set of suits for work. He donated the others of course knowing that he'd never be big enough to wear them again.
GJ and I have met once a week for a chance to talk about God and faith as well as keep tabs on each others lives. It seemed each week he was coming in giving me a new weight goal that he'd hit. 190 was surpassed. 180 came and GJ was sure that he'd hit what would be his lowest point. The new trainer had him doing hill repeats and weights like a mad man. The weight was falling off him so quick and his body was actually showing some signs of a muscular build! He kept up with his running with a goal to get under 30 minutes. This past fall he finished in 27 and some change. GJ kept working and is now sitting at a svelt 165. Two weeks ago, GJ set out to hit a new PR on a 5k and tore off a 24:45! I was there to see him cross the finish line and was so proud to see him sprinting at the end to finish strong.
Now for the good part. While over coffee, GJ and I have discussed my training for triathlons over the last 4 years. So I felt like this was the oppropriate time and place for me to pitch my idea to him for competing in his first tri. He thought the idea was absurd at first. You could tell that he still saw himself as the 220 lb wallflower, but the more and more that I reminded him of what he'd already accomplished he became a little more confident and gave me a promise to think about it. The next day GJ confirmed via the almighty text message that he was on board and would compete in his first tri this June. Words can't say how excited I am for him. He's going to do a race that I normally do, but I have decided to drop it and instead run support for him and cheer him on. GJ has worked so hard to get to where he is today, and I am so happy to announce to the triathlon world that we have a new athlete amoung us. I can't wait until race day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt. With the exception of the initials that's me. I was hitting 220 and ran my first 5K in 31 or so minutes. I eventually was able to drop to a current weight of 165 (from 36-38 waist to a 29-30) and an Ironman coming my way in 7 weeks. It's a great feeling! Congratulate this unknown GJ for me. That rocks!

Carrie said...

220 to 165 is awesome! Way to go GJ! That's great you'll be there on the sidelines for him.

DV said...

woah, that's great!

sucks that you got spam commented though...

rocketpants said...

That is AWESOME to hear!! That improvement...and the commitment to little steps. That really is great. Tell him contrats and I'm sure he'll appreciate you being his cheering section too.

Brent Buckner said...

Good that he has an example and support!

Molly said...

Love the new pic of Caesar!
I am hoping that my brother in law is on a similar path as your friend. I referenced them both in the last blog - thinking about running a 5K with him!

Great story!
Take Care

Oly said...

Go GJ!