Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Swimming and an Award to Give Out

There’s definitely more spring in my step this week than in weeks past. Not that I’ve ever been a “the glass is half empty” kind of guy, but this week I can definitely tell that my mood has changed for the better. I can only attribute this to finally being able to focus on triathlons and training for the upcoming season.
In my last post, I discussed my shameful experience on the bike where I realized just how far I’ve dropped off since last season. So now let’s talk about the first leg of the sport. I’m talking about none other than my arch nemesis from last year, swimming. Maybe it was the long lay off or maybe it is that my interests have changed, but for whatever reason the hate that I felt toward knocking out the laps has been cast aside with yesterday’s news. Back are the feelings of true love come anew. Well, let’s not go that far. I still suck at it so we’re not all that cool with each other right now. Anyway, Monday morning I joined in with a Master’s class over at the Y at 5:30 in a.m. The workout of the day included a 300 warm up, 3 sets of 75 yards with a kick board, pyramid sets of 175, 250, 325, 400, then back down again, and finally 4 sets of 50 yard sprints. Yikes. This was way more yards than I was planning on doing, but oh, what a great work out! I can’t say that I ever really got after it like this on my own. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to join this group for every work out, but finding a group like this would be a great benefit to my swimming.
Today, I was back in the pool for a little lunch time dip. I decided that today I would work on form. I keep reading that swim speed is 80% form and 20% strength and endurance. Form is definitely my biggest weakness right now and the area that could stand the most development. My head continues to stay too high in the water causing my legs to sink too deep. And as for my legs, my kicking blows chunks too. I can’t say that I exactly perfected my form today, but strides were taken. I even found time to work on the elusive flip turn that could very well elevate me out of the “noob” status in the pool.

As for the Award, Blink has been awarded the Endurance Performance of the Week Award(hence forth known as the E-POWA) for his outstanding showing at the Rocky Raccoon 50 miler in Texas this past weekend. Blink set a new record for his age group finishing 5th over all and finishing in 7:23:06. That's not 5th over all out of 25, that's 5th overall out of 142. The dude's a stud and an endurance inspiration to us all. Check out his race report. It's well worth reading. Great job Blink, and for your efforts I'm shipping you my Mercedes Marathon T from this weekend's race. I can't seem to allow myself to wear it since I didn't race.

That's all for now. Train hard, eat right.

2 comments:

Taconite Boy said...

Just saw your post at TGD last post.

Hilarious

:D

Oly said...

Matt-

It's an honor and a privilege to be recognized by a body of my peers for the profound work I've put forth in the endurance sports arena.

Being the first recipient of the esteemed E-POWA award means that every one else will now and forever follow ME!

Although it's taken much longer to achieve the recognition I so deservedly deserve, I value your keen eye for my greatness...

Uh, beer please... NOW, Don't you know who I am!?

...and I promise to never let you down, ever, how could I, I'm great!

Thanks for noticing.

Ciao