Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Race That Wasn't

Well, this past weekend was the Mercedes Marathon in B'ham. It would have been my first Mary, but due to a small family emergency I was unable to make it to the starting line. Instead, we spent the morning at the hospital seeing a family member. Big picture-everyone is ok, well, and good, and that's all that matters. Family is so much more important than any race so there was really no decision to be made at all regarding the race. On another good note, I didn't have to suffer for 3 plus hours. Woo hoo!

So where does that leave me now? Oh snap, right where I want to be. I'm so ready to become a Triathlete again. Training for the Mary was fun, but I just love the thrill of doing all three sports. So we're back to talking about triathlon stuff again.

So on that note, I did make it out mid day on Sunday for a ride. I needed to burn all these carbs I stored up for the race. It'd be a shame to let all that pure energy go to waste! The ride was the normal Tuesday night loop around town. It was absolutely gorgeous out with sunny skies and temps in the low to mid 60's. Where'd that come from? As for the ride, I'll revert back to my numerous excuses for a poor preformance such as a brake pad was rubbing, I had a head wind the whole time, or I had two flat tires. Whatever the reason, I sucked it up. The hills that I used to sprint to the top of left me sucking air and slobbering on myself. What happened to the cyclist from last year? Oh, he's hiding behind the extra sausage balls at Christmas and the late night runs to TCBY. (God bless TCBY) Yeah, so I've got my work cut out for me. It wouldn't be fun if it was easy right?

So this morning, I spent a little time in the weight room doing some cycling specific leg work outs that I've collected from my stack of endurance sport magazines. It wasn't pretty, but I'm on track.

And as for swimming? That was yesterday, but I'll save that for another post.

Tail winds!

6 comments:

Paul said...

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Welcome back triathlete.

ZBUCK said...

Well, then get your butt up here! I could introduce you to some trail running, then we can recover with some Fat Tire.

Donald said...

Sorry you missed the marathon - now get training.

rocketpants said...

I'm glad everyone was ok. There are other races and family is much more important.

Molly said...

Like the new look!
Glad everything is OK with the fam - you are right, that is the most important thing!
Have fun and Take Care!

Oly said...

I know how hard you trained for this race Matt. It's a disapointment not to be able to see you run it but your right, family does come first.