Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Anticipating A Coming Race

Wow, Powerman is just 17 days away. For those of you outside of Sweet Home Alabama, Powerman is the Southeast Regional USAT Championship. It features an 8K run, a 53K ride, then another 8K run. That's roughly 5, 34, and 5 miles. It's kind of daunting to think about in that it's a pretty tough course as well as it's fairly early in the year. But nonetheless, this is the time to shine, to suffer, and to soar.
In the coming two weeks I'm going to have to figure out how to get the necessary training in. This week and weekend should be fine, but next week I'll be in Toronto for three days. The following week I'll be back in Florida up until the day before the race. Luckily I'll be in a nicer hotel with a gym so I can get my miles in there. There won't be too much to do that week, but nutrition, 0h nutrition is going to be tough. So, nervous about that, but I think I can pull it off.
I finished reading "How Lance Does It" by Brad Kearns this weekend. To tell you the truth, I was expecting a bit more. I always enjoy reading about Mellow Johnny, but it did leave me wanting a bit. I was really hoping to catch the secret formula for conquering insurmountable odds. I was looking for the confirmed solution to leaving the competition in the dust. Instead, I got "you've got to the work." Which really is true. Not only that, but you've got to do the right work. Overall, I give the book a B -. It was a great reminder about working hard, staying positive, and focusing on goals. Maybe there are no secrets outside of that. Oh wait, I've got one. You can share it with your friends if you like. Have fun. If you're not having fun while training and racing. Quit. Go find something else to do. Do it with someone you love and care about. Do it to your fullest, and do it well.
Till next time my friends.

3 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

Since when was Lance called "Mellow Johnny?" Did you create that moniker yourself or has he always been called that? It's pretty funny.

Good luck with the training while traveling for business. I know all about it and IT SUCKS.

Bullet said...

"Mellow Johnny" is a play on the term "Malliot Jaune" which means yellow jersey in French. Someone coined Lance with that term years back. They said it was the Southern way to pronounce it.

ZBUCK said...

Man, hit the nail on teh head with what I am feeling right now. It isn't any fun anymore. I am about to write a post about it.

P.S. - I am definitely not doing Powerman.