Wednesday, March 21, 2007

BAD AWKWARD T-SHIRTS

Alright, so I'm in Ft. Lauderdale right now and before you start saying "oh lucky you sap you", let me tell what's up. So, I'm here on business which means no beach time, no training, and no fun. I've been here since Monday morning and if all goes well I'll be heading home tomorrow. I made an attempt to get a swim in on Monday afternoon, but was thwarted at the local Y due to 2 year old swim lessons. I mean come on. These guys need to learn how to swim and all, but how can you take up the whole pool? The guard said that I could have a lane if I came back at 8:30 that night. Well, I passed. I needed to eat and who wants to get in the pool after it's been a bunch of two year olds' bathroom? I did manage to get a short run in yesterday, but that's been it. I've been stretched for time and just plain exhausted after being on the move all day. Hopefully, I'll get to come home tomorrow and see my lovely wife who I miss dearly. Now for the rant...
I've been thinking about this for a while. It seems that every time I go to pick up my race packet prior to an event, I reach inside to grab a size large of cotton disappointment. It's just another shirt that I'll never wear. What's up with these shirts? I remember back in college we'd rack our brains to come up with the coolest t-shirts designs for a fraternity party. We wanted a cool shirt that promoted our fraternity, but also one that the girls would want to wear. Now 98% of those shirts have worn out their welcome in the drawer due to holes in the arm pits and stains on the front. I've kept a few due to the memories they hold for me, well that I still think some of them look cool.
Now, back to these shirts. Just like fraternity parties are what you really join a fraternity for in the first place, these races are the reasons my training my butt off. For those of us who don't get to walk away with an over sized winner's check, these race shirts provide a cool keep sake of the event. Instead of a cool keep sake, we get this 4 holed mistake in print sporting colors no grown man should ever be seen wearing. I've walked away with a turquoise shirt depicting pastel figures swimming, biking, and running. There's a race not too far from home who's traditional tie-dyed shirts have been disgracing runner's backs for years. It's an incredible race. You'll not find a smoother run race, but damn, those are some ugly shirts. My favorites are the long sleeve shirts with writing down the sleeve. Come on! This style was popular back when Panama Jack was king, but no more!
So until the standards for race shirts are raised, I'll keep stuffing my boxes marked for Goodwill with another donation. I'm still hopeful for this year. I'm an optimist at heart and truly feel that I'll see a change this year. 2007. The year of the Race Shirt?

Have some bad shirts to post? Send me a pic and I'll put together a pictorial.

4 comments:

Donald said...

Come run the Big Sur Marathon one year. They give ASICS long sleeve tech-fiber shirts with killer colors and designs.

Of course, you have to pay $100 (race fee) for it ....

Lauren said...

FYI, the Azalea Trail run shirts are usually pretty cool. They hire local artists to design them, and they have a "running azalea" on the shirt every year (a little cartoonish azalea with green running shorts. Cooler than it sounds.) The shirts used to be pink every year, but they changed it because the men didn't like to wear it in the gym (duh.)

JeffM said...

Being fashion challenged to begin with, the only shirts I wear are race shirts. All my money goes to pay for the races, so clothes are an unnecessary expense.
I like the races that give tech t-shirts.
The best one I have is the Cheetah run. Worst is a "propety of" tri shirt, I think those were big in the 80's?
The OSU tri is called the Beaver Freezer- so that shirt always gets strange looks or comments.

Bullet said...

I'm in Mobile, AL for a race and have just picked up another nasty one. I'll post it later.