Friday, March 16, 2007

Goggles And An Update




During my last couple of swim workouts, I’ve had a leaking problem. No, I don’t pee in the pool (anymore). It’s my goggles that I’m referring to. I’ll be swimming along, head down, finger tip drag, exhale, exhale, when all of the sudden water will start leaking into my goggles. I end up having to close one eye until I get to the end of the lane and then stop to readjust. If this was just once during a workout I could live with it, but it’s happening way too often. I’m currently using Speedo goggles. I have two pair that I’ve switched out over the last two years. They’ve worked great up until recently. So now I’m in the market for a new pair, and I need some advice.
On all3sports.com they have several choices all within the $15-$25 range. I’m a gear head, and if I can get the newest, latest, coolest gear for $25, then I’m going to buy it. They have traditional goggles and more of a mask design to choose from. I’ve seen some of the top athletes at races use the mask, so I feel comfortable that they’re at least worth using. I wouldn’t mind trying a pair if they can guarantee a better seal around my eyes. There’s nothing worse than having to stop during a race to clear out your goggles. Advice Please!

As for training, it’s still going well. I find myself craving bike time. This past week was the first “Tuesday Night Ride” for the area cyclists. Now that the time has changed, there’s plenty of time to ride after work. It’s staying light enough to ride until almost 7. So with this “Tuesday Night Ride” there are two groups. The “A” group and the “B” group. You can figure out what they mean. I took off with the “A” group this week, something I wouldn’t have even considered last year. This group includes some seasoned riders with monstrous calves and huge lungs. Oh, and by the way, they can freaking fly. I found this out quickly. I stayed with them until about mile 14. The peleton of 50 or more riders was pushing speeds of 35 mph on the flats. It was all I could do to stay with them. Like I said, they dropped me around mile 14 on this scary ass hill. I finished up strong with some other riders who’d gotten dropped. Thankfully I wasn’t the only one. It was a challenging ride, and I look forward to seeing how far I can hang with them next time.

Two bricks on the schedule for this weekend. They are both going to be a little long, so I’m eating now in preparation. Hope all is well.

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I use the Aqua Sphere goggles in your picture.

I have used the Speedos and similar types before but always had to really fight with them to get them seated and not leaking at each swim.

With these goggles I just slap them on my face and go - rarely ever any leakage.

But then again perhaps my face has a weird shape that causes me problems with the other types of goggles.

Neese said...

have you tried to google for goggles? while a gaggle of geese go by?

Sorry I cannot help. I am happy to hear however you no longer pee in the pool. lol

Donald said...

I found your blog from Stronger's site. Nice writing.

I use Speedo Baja goggles that have a lower profile than a mask, but decent wraparound vision. They're about $20 and pretty leak-resistant.

JeffM said...

I use the Aqua Sphere clear ones and love them vision-wise. But on a strong push off they can leak if not seated perfectly.