Thursday, May 31, 2007

The 30 Minute Window

I'm on the eve of my first HIM. Most of my packing will be completed tonight, but for the most part I'm ready. My race day nutrition has already been set aside. By itself on the kitchen counter, it doesn't look like much. Oatmeal, powders, a few pills, and some gels. The bike has been cleaned and greased. I have a new rear tire, one that allows for more psi thus leaving a smaller print on the road (=faster). I've added a saddle bag for my tube and CO2 cartridge. All equipment is dialed in as much as it can be. The engine is getting some much needed rest this week as well. I've refined it's fuel so it'll be performing at max capacity come Sunday. The engine has never felt better.
The only thing weighing on my mind right now is this thirty minute window. I'm referring to the time on the clock as I stroll across the finish line on Sunday. I've narrowed down my finishing times from best case scenario to worst case scenario, and they fit inside this thirty minute window. I know what I can do each discipline in, but how will I do come race day? I've pushed myself enough this year to know how I react to certain conditions and distances, but there's always the unknown. Now don't get me wrong, this thought isn't controlling my mindset right now, and I'm not stressing over it. My head is surprisingly clear. But, if you know me, which you probably don't, you'd know that I'm very goal oriented and competitive. Just finishing is not enough. A lack luster effort is unacceptable. I'm going to enjoy every second of this race on Sunday, but know that if I'm enjoying too much then I'm going to be disappointed when I cross that line.
I've got one more ride to do this afternoon before I call it quits on training for this race. My work is done. Due some great coaching, I have full confidence in my training and preparation. It's time for a victory lap. It's time to enjoy what I've worked so hard for. I'm ready.
Comments are turned off on this one. Thanks for reading. Race report coming.