Thursday, May 03, 2007

Two Zappers and a good week


Well, it’s been another good week. Its good being an optimist isn’t it? It’s easy when it’s sunny out and not oppressively hot. The mosquitoes still haven’t emerged (not much anyway) so the back yard is still enjoyable. I keep threatening to my wife that this year is the year that I buy a bug zapper. She’s putting up a monstrous fight right now in hopes that we won’t live up the redneck stereo-type by having one on our deck. Despite its ability to reduce the population of those biting S.O.B.s, she won’t back down. I’m still hopeful.
This week has been productive. Good mileage on the road (bike and by foot) and quality swims in the pool. Tuesday night was the first time that I was able to keep up with the “A” riders on the weekly ride. They usually lose me on the flats, but not this week. Coach has me on Acid Zapper, and it’s the bomb. No more lactic acid burn during the rides. I’ve been able to push it a bit harder when it matter and maintain higher speeds. Now, I won’t credit it all to the Zapper because I’ve been working my butt off as well, but it has helped.
So today’s pre-work exercise consisted of high intensity intervals on a spin bike. Bloody hell, these wore me out! My quads are still feeling it. At lunch, I was back over at the gym in the pool for 8 x 100’s and 10 x 50’s. I was able to keep my 100’s around 1:31 and my 50’s around 38 seconds. Still no Michael Phelps, but I’m coming around. One thing of note regarding this pool, it’s an outside pool. Therefore the water bakes in the sun all morning. By the time lunch time rolls around it’s become quite hot. The water had to be around 90 degrees. As I was leaving, one poor soul had to do his laps in a wetsuit to practice for AL Gulf Coast in two weeks. You couldn’t have paid me to swim laps in that suit.
This weekend should be interesting. I’m bricking a swim/bike on Saturday and a bike/run on Sunday. My distances aren't as crazy as Zbuck's thankfully, but I’m still going to suffer. Big congrats to everyone on their times at the Country Music ½ Marathon. I’ve really enjoyed your reports and pics. Keep it up.

8 comments:

DV said...

dude was i sharing a lane with you for a while today? yea the wetsuit guy - omg he must have been baking in there...

Crash said...

Dude, get the bug zapper. That is hours of cheap, cheap entertainment.

rocketpants said...

It does sound like a great week! You are quite the fishy it sounds like. 38 sec on 50s...that's great!

Lauren said...

Please don't encourage the bug zapper! Entertainment yes, but the sound...and our neighbors...well, maybe annoying a specific neighbor wouldn't be so bad... ;)

TMckay said...

38 seconds on 50's..?...?...
(cricket sound, cricket sound, followed by a yawn)
step it up dude, more reach, less fight, relax and breathe -

I wanna see 35's

Laurie said...

We have a bug zapper. Our goat and dog eat the remains! (We live in TN)

JeffM said...

Sounds like a good week and a great weekend planned. Fast swim times.

Dances with Corgis said...

You know, I don't think of the Zapper as white trash, although I do HATE that sound it makes when it zapps the bug. Could you get a silent one? Then it wouldn't be too bad.

Sounds like you had an AWESOME week, Matt!