Sunday, March 09, 2008

Snow! In Birmingham?

Just for a quick second everyone, let's go back to my post from this past weekend. You know the one where I was at the beach, laying out at the pool, catching some rays, yada yada yada. It was awesome. Temps were in the 70's and you really couldn't have asked for a prettier day.
Well fast forward to this weekend back in Birmingham. The weekend was supposed to have started off with little local 5K that I do every year in hopes of setting a PR and defending my age group for the 3rd straight year (gotta love small races!). But instead, I woke to find that apparently all the planets aligned over night to allow for it to actually snow over night. Snow! In Birmingham! Now, please, let's take a step back and have a reality check. What we consider snow in Birmingham is not really what everyone may consider getting snow. There was enough to cover the ground mostly, but not really enough to build a snow man unless you recruited the snow from neighboring yards. The best part of getting any type of snow in Birmingham is that everything is closed and canceled and everyone goes a little crazy. The newscasters reportedly stayed up all night to report the storm's progress through the state. They had cameras on several interstates showing wrecks and slowed traffic due to the "terrible winter conditions." It's all pretty laughable. But this worst part is that my little local 5K was canceled by the police to avoid any injuries. Oh well. I crawled back into bed a talked Lauren into walking into downtown Homewood for breakfast. A much easier way to start the day.
I did get a good 7.5 mile run in later that day and followed it up with 20 minutes of swimming. The sun did poke it's head out so it actually turn out to be a beautiful day, but it was still a little frigid.
Today my training buddy, Daniel, and I met up for a ride and run. The wind gusts were fierce, but undeterred we put in a pretty descent ride of 30+ miles included some long steep climbs which really taxed out my quads. We followed that up with a 5 mile run through some fairly rolling neighborhoods which really put the hurt on my quads. We did our best to sprint the hills as we're both trying to regain that lost leg strength. A great workout and a great time. I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow.
Tailwinds...

5 comments:

rocketpants said...

SNOW!!?? Bummer that the 5K got canceled, looks like you still got a good weekend of training in.

Carrie said...

Thanks for giving us a break and taking our snow for the weekend! We'll trade: this summer when it is hell, I mean humid, in AL- you can have our mild 80s w/2% humidity

Donald said...

Very funny about the snow, and a bummer about the race. On the bright side - you're still the defending champ, right?

Molly said...

Chattanooga is the same...snow shuts the whole town down!
Hope you had warm weather (like we did)today!
Take Care!

Oly said...

I've had snow here, on the ground sice November.

UGGGG!!!!!

But I can also remember as a kid in Oregon, school being cancled because it snowed. It didn't even reach the ground.