Friday, September 15, 2006

Back in Training

This week marks the first week of off-season training. Kinda odd to be already working on next year, but I know I've got a lot to work on. This week I met with my coach who professionally fit me on my bike. I'm not in a better position to churn out some power while giving myself more room to breathe. He's also giving me some pointers on pedal strokes, but hopefully will increase my efficiency and help me to use different leg muscles, thus giving me a little help in the run portion. I haven't had time this week to really put some miles on the bike, but looking forward to it.

Last night, I met with Coach for a swim assessment. After watching me swim a few laps to check my form, he said, "well, you won't drown." Thus began the tinkering and rebuilding of my swim stroke. Swimming is all about efficiency in the water. I'm a stocky 180 lbs at 5'11''. Maybe closer to 5'10''. I'm fairly muscular so I sink like a rock. After a few, technic instructions, I have a good base to build on. My hope is that sometime this weekend I'll be able to practice what I've learned. I've never felt like such a spaz in the water until yesterday. It's all for the hope of improving though.

1 comment:

rocketpants said...

Sounds like you're setting yourself up pretty well in the off season to have a really strong next season. Good luck with all the off season training.