Sunday, September 24, 2006

Thoughts on kids and God

Today I found myself in a situation that has become increasingly common, but never as much as today. Today I was uterly surrounded by children. Not kid kids, but more or less babies. The still in diapers, "I soil all of my clothes in drool" kind.
Lauren and I went to my parents house for my father's birthday, he's 57 now. I spent most of the time playing with my 2 year old nephew, Dakota. He's just now becoming fun. His new toy of the day was a old wallet that he'd found. Of course, when he showed it to me I had to give him some money for it. Little did I know, it seems that everyone that saw it had the same thought. He'd racked up quite a stash before I'd gotten there. I need to remember to get one for my future kids. It's quite a racket. Dakota and I wrestled and played in the yard. I tought him how to kick a ball. I taught him how to kick a ball off of my toe like in a football game. I even included a "War Eagle" prior to the kick for special effects.
Afterwards, we went to church to see my best friend's kid be baptised. He's about 6 months old and looks just like his dad. We all went back to his house afterwards for dinner. For whatever reason, it's etiquette to have friends and family over after your kid's baptism. Is it a Southern thing? I don't know. Of my friend's 5 brothers and sisters, there have been 5 boys born with a year. Amazing. Not all of them were there, but with the friends and other family members there, there was quite a gathering of little ones. We had criers, dancers, thumb suckers, gigglers, and pukers. Normally after a day like today, I'd find myself wanted to run away and find a quite little spot to chill out away from all the kids, but not tonight. For whatever reason I saw the beauty and magic of kids and how wonderful of a gift they are from God. Though they come in small packages, they give us a little insight into how God sees us. Just as we love our children, God loves us - even more so. There's a special bond between a parent and a child. I don't think the child could ever love the parent as much as the parent loves the child. The child could never disappoint the parent so much as to cause the parent not to love the child. This is the beauty of God's love. Despite our continuing failures and disobedience, he still loves us as much as ever. Hard to believe. I am so very thankful.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love hearing your insight into last night. My thoughts ranged from similar ones to "oh my gosh, how are they doing it?"