Sunday, October 22, 2006

Two Good Runs and a Ride

"The sea was angry my friend!" That's how I've felt about the weather all week. It's been nasty cold and rainy. It started Monday with my intervals in the rain. I had to ride inside at the gym on Tuesday due to the rain. Yawn... It's so boring. Thursday, I was determined to get out and run no matter what. BGillis joined me, so my plans to run for time were scrapped. I ran at a slower pace this time, but put in 6.3 miles in about 55 minutes. Not a record setting pace, but it was just good to pound the pavement so to speak. Even though it was a sprinkling a bit and the wind was blowing, it was perfect for running. I never did get too hot. I finished the run by sprinting the last 1/2 mile. It really felt like I could've kept going. If there wasn't somewhere I had to be I would have.
Saturday, I ran the 6 mile Red Eye Run in Mtn Brook. Felt strong most of the time. It was a chilly 41 degrees, but the sun was out so it wasn't too bad. Toughest thing about the run was fighting off discouraging thoughts. The mental aspect of running has always been tough for me. It's made a big difference by working to reduce my thoughts about being tired or not "having it" today. As for the run, I made a point to run a little faster than usual and it paid off. I finished in 45:08. Not too bad. Still felt like I had a little in the tank. I think I'm ready to try a longer distance.
Today (Sunday), I headed out for a bike ride around Irondale. It was really good to get out and put the miles in. The weather was absolutely gorgeous! It was a little windy which slowed us down a bit, but overall a great day for riding. I logged 28 miles. Tomorrow, we're back to running intervals. 6 x 800 meters in 3:12. Ouch. I'm already sore.

2 comments:

JeffM said...

Living in Oregon I have to do everything in the rain sometimes. Running in the rain is fine, riding in the rain stinks.
45:08 is a great time, with the track work it'll only get better.

ZBUCK said...

Tell me how the meeting goes today. I am interested in hearing what your goals and plans are for next season. This time next year, we may be doing the Florida 70.3 together.