Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Blahs

Do you ever get the blahs? "The Blahs" according to Webster's dictionary is the "lack of emotion or general excitement about training." It's true. I just looked it up. Right now, I'm just kind of bored with training and generally just not as excited about it as I usually am. It's not indicative of my life in general right now. Things are great. I just don't have the drive right now. I noticed it for the first time last Friday. I was in the pool for a relative easy session, but I found myself just wanting to get out, find a book, and read for a while instead. I had plenty of energy, but it just didn't interest me to keep doing laps. Yesterday, after work I had a five miler scheduled. I had planned to run with a group from the Trak Shak. There are always some elite runners there that let me tag along. These guys do a good job of pushing me to run a little faster. They were no where to be found. Was it too cold? It was 43 degrees per the Rover, not teeth chattering cold but chilly. So with no one to run with, I took it to the house. It just didn't interest me to run at that point by myself. This is disappointing, but as I'm typing this I think I need some more training partners. Maybe that will help. I think the community aspect of training with friends is key for me. Nothing gets me more excited than riding with a group on the weekends, but the thought of monotonous sessions alone at 6:30 in the morning is just beginning to wear on me. Sorry for the depressing posts, but what's a blog for anyway? Today, it's for hashing out a few thoughts.

4 comments:

ZBUCK said...

I completely understand how you feel, but I think you will get through it. Sometimes it takes a really good training session to get you excited again, at least that is what does it for me. Keep your head up and focus on Memphis!

Dances with Corgis said...

Hey Matt,

I get the blahs right around change of seasons in the spring... something about skiing ending and knowing I'm in for a long summer.

How about a quick break, weekend jaunt, something to step out of the game and come back a little refreshed? Always helps.

JeffM said...

Sounds like classic overtraining. Do something to break up the routine that you enjoy?

rocketpants said...

Yea, sounds like a little overtrained or you have gone out a little 'fast' with the training. I'd back it off a week...add an extra day off this week...mix it up with a hike or something and then get back at it.

Good luck