Wednesday, February 21, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things...

Cue the Sound of Music soundtrack. In light of the up coming season (of which I’m getting more and more excited about each day), I’d like to share with you a few of my favorite things I’ve discovered in Triathlons:

1.I love to bike! Man, I am jonesing right now for a good ride. Nothing beats the open air and pounding those pedals.

2. Favorite energy gel – GU Strawberry Kiwi. 15 before every 45 it says. It’s the perfect size. I like the Powergels, but they take too long to get down.

3. Favorite sports drink mix – It’s gotta be the Cytomax Cool Citrus – It’s a little on the sweet side, but its heads and shoulders above the rest in taste. Oh yeah and in performance it kicks. 190 mg of sodium, 95mg of potassium, and 35 carbs.

4. I love my new Zoot tri shorts – comfortable as “all get out.” Plenty of padding in all the right places and they even come with a couple of pouches so I can stow fav #2. Thanks to Jeff M. for suggesting these.

5. Favorite run - Red Eye 10K – I don’t get to do this one very often, but every Saturday morning a group of local runners meet up to run through one of the ritzier parts of Birmingham. The distance is perfect for me as well.

6. Favorite ride – Cahaba Cycles 38 miler – great distance with a great group of guys. This ride features tons of back roads which sadly will soon be over taken by suburban sprawl. For now, it’s a fast course with little to worry about other than keeping up.

7. Favorite swim – don’t have one yet. Sometimes I love the pool, sometimes I hate it. Kinda hate it right now. Oh, but I do love the swim portion of races.

8.Favorite post ride ritual – Every Saturday ride is followed up with one of Super Sam’s own Bacon, Egg, and Cheese sandwiches!

9. Favorite time of race day – Oh, this is great. Pre-race in the transition is so weird, but still so cool. There’s a lot of nervous energy out there and it’s cool to see how different people prepare.

10. Favorite portion of the race – This has to be T2 – For most, this is the fastest transition. You’re tired, legs are burning, but this is the last leg and it’s time to go.

11. Favorite Tri Read – I’ll read anything about techniques for improving my “game.” Whether its gear, nutrition, or training regimes, count me in. Can’t get enough.

12. Favorite stat after the race: I love them all. Bike splits, pace per mile,

13. Favorite feeling – PAIN – I love to suffer. It’s when I know that I’m pushing myself the hardest. I remind myself that 99% of America is sitting on the sofa while I’m busting my tail to obtain my goal.

14. Favorite benefit – Community – The fact that we’re all quirky enough to post blogs and have group runs and training sessions are simply too cool. It wouldn’t be half as fun without the community.

8 comments:

rocketpants said...

Those are fun favorite things.

That's lots of gels! I don't think I could absorb 400 cal in an hour...good luck with that. Kiwi-strawberry...glad someone likes that flavor ;-) But i'm a boring gel kind of girl.

Cliff said...

Hmm post ride ritual sounds delicious.

There is nothing better than a fast ride in the back roads. I have one in my area too. Sadly, in a few years I can see that it will become a suburban sprawl as well.

Spokane Al said...

That is a great list. I am also looking forward to getting out on the roads once again after a winter of basement trainer riding.

Crash said...

sweet post.

JeffM said...

Great list! I love the post-race meal- anything goes because you just raced.

JeffM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great list man. Isn't it odd how freakish we as athletes are? We love pain. Man, that's messed up. I do like you you put it though. We're out there busting our rear end while most other people are sitting at home doing nothing. Love it man! Hey, great ride today!

Anonymous said...

I've got the same Zoot shorts... I ride and run in them... even at the gym.