Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tagged - my, my, my

Well, I've been tagged by Mr. Fistfight himself so here goes:


1: Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever: My first Tri was an Oly in Philadelphia, Miss back in 2004. It was in July mind you. I received an invite from a client to join him in competing in the tri and being the adventurous and cocky guy that I am, I jumped at the chance. The triathlon is just one of the many events during a two week county fair for this rural area of Mississippi. All of the stereotypes that you can think of would probably be justly earned. I was at about mile 3 of the 7 mile run portion when my client’s father comes riding by in the back of a pick up truck. “Hey Matt, wanna bair?” he yelled. “No sir, I do not want a beer, but stay close. I may want a ride” was my response. He laughed as they took off down the road.

2: Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon: My most recent tri was the Frantic Frog Sprint Tri in Scottsboro, AL. It was the first time I had incorporated proper nutrition in to my pre-race preparation. It was also the first time I was able to complete the race with gas in the tank. I finished going all out. To date, it was my fastest time in a sprint and drove home the importance of nutrition.

3: What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri? I’ve been lucky so far, but my near breakdown in last year’s Heart O’ Dixie Oly Tri was enough get me to start training harder and being better prepared for races. I totally during the run portion of the race and ended up walking more than I ran. I nearly pulled out of the race. This more than anything is the monkey that I need to get off my back this year.

4: What’s the most thrilling thing that’s happened to you in a tri? No podium finishes or high age group placements to speak of, so nothing dramatic to report. But what I’ve enjoyed most is seeing my wife at the end of the race and having her tell me how proud she is of me.

5: What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons? I’ve discovered that mental toughness plays a major role in endurance sports. It’s been a bumpy road, but I’ve learned how to manage my mood during a race by focusing on positive thoughts rather than the negative. I’ve also learned what I look like without chunky cheeks. Face cheeks that is.

6:What is The Big Goal that you’re working towards? My “A” race this year is the Rock N Roll ½ Ironman in Macon, GA. I’d much rather be doing a sexier race such as one in the 70.3 series, but this one fits in the schedule.

My turn to tag. Let's go with ZBuck, Jeff, and Neese

4 comments:

Crash said...

I'm with you on #4...er, wait ahh..my wife that is.

Cliff said...

HIM is good....

I once ran through a marathon aid station asking them if they had beer :)...quite funny..unfortunately i do want a beer :(

As for the job situation.i have a phone interview last fri and just got second interview from a diff comp this thurs :)

Neese said...

I'm honored to be tagged by you Matt but i've never been in a tri!!

I am still giggling at your comment on Jodi's blog...you're so funny!

Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

JeffM said...

Good answers- I'll have to think about it before posting.
As for your question about commercials- I do work as an extra in movies and commercials as a hobby.