Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Protein+Protein+Protein = YUCK


I’m still following my coach’s guidelines for eating and such for this ½ Mary on Sunday. Tuesday, my directions were to eat soluble proteins and no carbs. I was actually looking forward to this. I mean who doesn’t love meat and protein smoothies? I started out the morning with a plate of Egg Beater eggs. High in protein and no carbs. No problem. Salt and Pepper to taste = delicious. Mid morning snack was an Apex Protein drink – 40g of protein with only 1g of carbs. Pretty good stuff. Lunch – more eggs and some ham. Getting kind of old. By the time my mid afternoon snack rolled around a headache had set in, and I was dragging. My snack was another delicious protein shake. Choked it down with a grimace. Finally dinner time rolled around, but my fridge was empty of all things protein! I had some Progresso Chicken and Rice soup – only a few carbs in there. I had to have some ham too as I was still hungry. The headache was getting worse and my energy level was still dropping. I felt like a wad of poo.
Needless to say, I probably could have set myself up with better choices to eat, but didn’t have a lot of notice on what to prepare for. Next time I’ll be better prepared. I know that I do need and crave carbs. Luckily today is a carb day. It’s still early and I’ve already had two bowls of cereal, Yo Crunch Yogurt, and some oatmeal. My headache is gone, and I’m feeling more energized.
Eating with a plan is still fairly new to me. This is only the second time I’ve prepared for a race this way. This first time was a huge success compared to my previous races. I know it’ll work out, but I’m not really looking forward to next time.
I'm off for a short 3 mile run to keep the legs fresh.

2 comments:

Crash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crash said...

protein+protein+protein also = ass-bombs...careful with those.