Monday, February 05, 2007

Weekend and Down Hill Problems

Well, it’s Half Mary week. This is the final week before my first Half Marathon on Sunday. I’m a little nervous about it, and I’m wondering just how I’ll do. This is my first race of the season as well, so there’s some anticipation there as well. I just received some diet instructions from my coach for the week and forwarded them over to my wife who by now is having a cow because she just went to the grocery store yesterday and stocked up on groceries for the week. Now we get to go back for more.

I did swim this morning, but that’s about it for the week except a few runs to keep the legs fresh. I hit a PR for the 1000 m at 16:31. Feeling good right now about my swim, but I still need to work on form and being fluid. I’m a bulldozer in the water.

The camping trip this weekend was a blast. Not as cold as I expected. I even stayed on my “diet” and stayed away from too many fatty foods. I packed several pieces of fruit to curb any cravings. We did however end our trip with breakfast at Cracker Barrel. You gotta live a little right?

I picked up with a buddy of mine, Justin, on Sunday afternoon for a ride with some of his friends. Justin raced for 7 years on the pro circuit and has calves the size of my thighs. The boy can move. Luckily, he took it easy on us. The guys we were riding with were a little more experienced than I was and were all riding road bikes while I was on my “Tri” bike. I ride a 04 Cervelo Dual. It’s been a great bike, but I’m learning that it was meant for going straight not for hair pin turns and the down hill. For one thing, I’m a big ole sissy when it comes to going down hills. I can stand about 37-38 mph, and then my back bone turns to yellow and cat whiskers start growing on my face. Roadies just blow me away. It has a lot to do with my nerves, but also a lot to do with my bike. Tri bikes have a higher center of gravity than typical road bikes which make it more susceptible to a speed wobble. This only sharpens the color of yellow on my back and the makes the whiskers on my face grow even longer. I may even throw out a “meow” or two.
Luckily, I’m climber and was able to catch up and pass these guys going up hills. Except for Justin who’s waiting for us at the top.

More on the ½ Mary latter this week.

6 comments:

ZBUCK said...

I don't think I would call you a bulldozer with those kind of times in the water. I am swimming 1200 tonight and hoping to get under 20.

I am jealous you went camping. I haven't been on a real camping trip in years. Where did you go? Cheaha, Oak Mt., Sand Rock, Little River?

It looks like I am going to have to pass on the Mercedes trip. I just found out I am going to have to be in Memphis all next week and have to leave on Sunday.

Neese said...

You have me laughing over here reading the comment you left LOL, thanks for that.

keep hydrated this week and enjoy the "mary" i'll check back for the report!

Crash said...

Good luck with the 1/2 - how is the nutrtion thing going?

Dances with Corgis said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one suffering on a diet (mine started today). What's your goal weight?

Good luck on the half!

JeffM said...

I was thinking of getting a tri bike this year, might put a crimp in the 40+ downhills. Hadn't thought about that part of it.
Good luck on the half!

Bullet said...

Ski - My diet is mainly centered around keeping me well fueled while not putting on any extra pounds. I'm weighing in at 172 right now which is really low for me. I wouldn't mind being around 168 or so for the 1/2 Iron.

Crash -So far the nutrition plan for this week is going well. Today I'm hammering water and proteins. Kinda odd. Overall, it's really going well, but there's been plenty of times where I've indulged but that's just how it's going to be.