Tuesday, April 24, 2007

ALRIGHT! HERE IT IS!

So after much prodding, I've decided to let the cat out of the bag. No, I haven't won a lottery ticket to Kona. No, I haven't bought a new bike. I'm not that lucky. What I do have to offer you is the one thing we spend countless hours training for. A race. Not just any race, the first annual Carbon Man Triathlon on May 19th! I've had the Memphis in May Oly on the schedule since late last year. I've been training for it and had even located a wet suit for the swim. But, things are the way they are and our plans fell through, and I've had to drop the race. Devastated, I set out trying to replace the race. Unable to find another race close by, I decided what better way to replace it, than to create one? Now, let me explain. This is a race without borders. That means, it's not a race that's confined to Birmingham, AL. It's location is Every City, USA. We're talking NY, WA, OR, and even CA I'll even open it up to my friends north of the border. What's up Hosers?
So, here's how this is going to play out. On May 19th, gather your friends, training buddies, whoever and pick out a spot to hold YOUR race. You can do the swim in the pool, in a lake, or even in an ocean (Crash). Likewise, the bike can be completed on the road or on the trainer. Need I go on about the run? As for the distances, I'm only going to set a minimum. What would be the purpose of going easy? This is all in hopes of better preparing you for your race season. The minimum distances are as such, 400 m swim, 15 mi bike, and a 3 mi run. These are the distances that I will post on the t-shirt.
Oh that's right, there's going to be a t-shirt. If you read this mess I call a blog for any length of time, you've discovered that I have a certain disdain for race tees. I'm a pretty hard critique, so you know I've put some time and effort into these shirts. Cafepress.com is a great little site where you can create shirts and make them available on-line. The shirts are made to order, so once I make the link available, click it and buy the shirt. And yes, they are going to be sweeeeet!
So to the Birmingham and Alabama contingent, we'll be holding our version of the Carbon Man Triathlon out at Oak Mtn State park. I have already signed two guys up. My wife has offered to watch our stuff before and after transitions. I'll be in contact with each of you to make sure you're on board. To all my friends abroad, let's make it a huge event. I'll be looking for your race report.
That's it. I hope you weren't expecting too much. If you've found your site linked on this post, that means 1. I read your blog, 2. I think my friends should too, and 3. I'm putting extra heat on you to do this race!
T-shirt link soon to follow.

9 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!

MATT THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

Carbon Man! I freaking love it!

I am sooooo in!

One problemo, though, I already am doing an Olympic tri on the 19th of May in Harrimon, NY. :-/ Can I do my own Carbon man the next weekend or sumthin? I still wanna earn my tshirt :)

Let me know what you suggest!
Court

PS- I read the title of "Carbon Man" first, and thought to myself, 'What is this? Some nutty race directors trying to be clever playing on Ironman?' then I realized it was YOUR race. :) sooo funny.

Paul said...

Sweet! This should fit in good between Wild Flower and Baja 70.3.

Also try out www.runningbanana.com for the shirts. They have tech tees if you're into that sorta thing.

David said...

Haha. This comes exactly 1 week after Gulf Coast. As long as I'm not laid up somewhere I'd love to do it.

You need a website for this!

JeffM said...

Count me in! And for a t-shirt also of course.

Crash said...

In - But I'll be doing mine from Thailand...Bo-MF'n-Yah! Can I get my shirt in a tank-top? Sweet.

Donald said...

Yikes. One week after Wildflower for me. I'll see what I can do.

Bullet said...

Yeah! If the 19th conflicts with your schedule feel free to do it the week before or after. Except David, he has to do it with us in Bham. I'll see if I can make the shirt it tech tees and do a tank as well. Good ideas.

Laurie said...

Hey Matt! Thanks for visiting my Blog. I will add you to my links!

DV said...

hey, i'm game... carbon man - clever.

i'll become carbon as part of my pre florida half iron shake down in orlando.