Sunday, April 15, 2007

POWERMAN ALABAMA 2007


I just completed Powerman Alabama this morning. To say the least, I'm pretty exhausted and ready to do nothing but eat. I've got to make up for the 8 pounds I lost while racing. So here's the story.

The morning started at 4:15. Breakfast and coffee at 4:30. A quick check of the equipment, and off to the course around 6:00. The event was held in Irondale, Al just east of Bham. The course is mainly around a little community of homes and off a minor hwy. Upon arrival, cars were parked everywhere. There were a ton of participants. Not too many spectators. The weather was a blistery 40 something degrees with drizzling rain and 15-20 mph winds (per the weather channel). Everyone was decked out in their winter riding gear. It looked more like we were about to go skiing rather than compete in a Duathlon. Set up was easy, my mind seemed to be in the right place, and overall While at the starting line, everyone was shivering waiting in line for their wave. It can't be good to shiver as much as we did. I have to really feel for one guy. He had just exited a porta-potty, then turned around real quick and started looking around. He looked down into the toilet and said, "Aw man, I dropped my glove in the toilet!" He didn't retrieve it to say the least.

The first 8k was easy. I warmed up quickly and the legs felt good. I finished it in 34:02. Along the way, I found some ear warmers someone had dropped. I asked a few people about them as I passed them, but no one claimed them so I quickly put them on for the bike ride. I know I looked like a dork, but at that point, who cares?

I don't know what it is about this course, but it's always windy. The gusts are insane. It was all I could do to stay on my bike at times. There was a good long section in which the wind was actually at our back which helped, but didn't make up for having to face it on the way back. Overall, I felt fine on the bike. My right calf started cramping up on me on the first loop, so I started pounding my fluids, but it didn't help. By the second loop, both were cramping and I had to grit my teeth to keep it going. I finished the 53K course in 1:41 which is at 19.4 mph. This is slower than what I'd planned, but given the conditions I was happy with it.

Second 8K.- This is where the fun started. I somehow figured out a way to get my shoes on without bending over too much. Thanks Yankz laces! After the first few steps, I knew was I in for a tough time. Both feet were numb from the cold and I couldn't flex either calf. It took me 2 miles before I could run with a normal gait. This run was very humbling for me. I hurt so much and I just wanted it to be over. I started looking at my watch and calculating how slow I could run and still get under my goal. I had a little wiggle room, but not much. Mercifully, I found the finish line at 2:59:28. 32 seconds under my goal. Unofficially, I finished 79th OA, and 7th in my AG. Overall, very happy with the results. I'm glad they only hold this race once a year. I'm not looking forward to doing this again for a while. Yeah, I know pathetic right?

Afterwards, Lauren helped me round up my stuff. It's so good to have someone waiting for you at the finish line. I drag her to a lot of events, and she never complains. Thanks Babe.

A big shout out to my peeps from Team Transitions, Tracy, David, Dory, Mary Rebekah, and Daniel. They all did so well. I was impressed to see each of them with their chin up and braving the course. They all looked better than I did after the race. Looking forward to hanging out with you again soon.

I'm going to eat some ICE CREAM now!
Check out Tri Jack's report on the race as well.

11 comments:

Neese said...

Congrats on an awesome finish so close to your goal! So that's all it takes to lose 8lbs? ;) Rest well!

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations on a great finish in a tough race. You definitely have earned the ice cream.

DV said...

great job matt! my feet and hands felt like they belonged on someone else's body - surreal...

a friend at the end makes it all worthwhile...

Dances with Corgis said...

Yay Matt! Sounds like you had a great finish... and props to your woman for being there for you at the finish! :) Enjoy your much-deserved feast!

JeffM said...

Great race!! That's a long distance this early in the year. Blistering pace on the first 8K. And almost 20 mph with wind- you're fast!

TMckay said...

As both a coach and an athlete I get not only the opportunity to cross the finish line but to live vicariously through the efforts of my clients...Powerman is a tough race and 90% of the time serves up not only a hilly course but weather that is pre-apocolyptic....
It actually sleeted....geeez! Matt you had an incredible race!

Hope you enjoyed the ice cream...I lost 5 lbs but'Sister Shubert' will be helping me regain my loss...

TriSonq said...

Great job on the race.

Sounds like pretty un-ideal (word?) conditions.

Crash said...

nice work out there schtudd!

Donald said...

Congrats on your performance at a tough race! The wind just plays havoc with the bike, and it's so unpredictable - 19.4 mph is pretty impressive.

Bolder said...

Congrats on your top 10 AG finish!

ONLY IN MY DREAMS.

well done.

Paul said...

Nice finish! I always wonder where does all the weight go?