Friday, April 13, 2007

Race Week

Well folks, this is race week and I find myself in sunny Bonita Springs, Fl on business. I've been here since Wednesday and will be returning tomorrow (Saturday) just in time to prepare for Sunday's race. It's hard to believe that race season is upon us. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I've progressed. This Sunday's race is Powerman Alabama and as I've mentioned before is a 8K,50K,8K duathlon. There is some nervous anticipation there, but overall I'm just glad to be racing. The field is going to be made up of some elite athletes so I'll only be competing against myself and the clock. No chance of a podium finish here, that's not what it's all about any way. The thrill of the start, the nervous twinge in your stomach, the exhiliration of the finish, and the sense of accomplishment are all tops with me.
I'm currently working on drinking as much water as possible. Being at a work convention, I've gotten a lot of odd stares carrying around a bottle of water the whole time and only picking at certain foods. Special diets and planned meals and drinks are all part of the method that WILL help me on Sunday.
So look for an update on Sunday regarding the race. My bike is cleaned up and all sparkly, the shoes are shined, the diet is tuned in and on track, and most importantly the mind is focused and optimistic. Good luck to everyone racing.

2 comments:

David said...

I hate you haven't been able to hit the course with us on the weekends. We've missed ya. I'll be looking for you on Sunday. Good luck man!

Crash said...

Good luck this weekend Matt - you'll do awesome...and go ahead and crush a few people on the way to a great finish.