Monday, August 06, 2007

All Good Things Must Come to an End

As previously posted, Lauren and I spent the weekend down at the beach. I say "beach" meaning that I'm actually there at the beach, but truth be told I haven't touched the sand of the beach in any of my trips down this year. The Condo sits on the riverside of the tiny strip of land splitting the gulf and Old River. The beach is just a couple of hundred yards away, but I'd rather sit by the pool and watch the oversized boats sail by on the river. Some people's egos are more prominently displayed than others. The size of these boats scream, "look at me!, but I'm just fine with my borrowed raft.

For the most part, I treat the mornings down at the beach like a mini training camp. I'm usually up and out the door fairly early so as to beat the day's heat. Lots of swimming, biking, and running filled the menu until 9:00 am or so, then it was strickly relaxation time. I cued Lauren in on my formula for recovering, "Why run when you can walk? Why walk when you can sit? Why sit when you can lay down? Since you're laying down, you might as well sleep." And that's what we did.

Lauren completed her goal of finishing the final book in the Harry Potter series while soaking up the sun as well. I would have completed Soul Survivor by Phillip Yancey, but Jack Welch's "Winning" got in the way. Well that and those darned naps.

Overall a good weekend. We both feel refreshed, but are desparately hungry for another trip down. Now, it's back to work and back to life. (This is the point where Molly would break out in that "Back to Life, Back to Reality" song)

3 comments:

rocketpants said...

Sounds like a great break from the normal chaos of it all. (or should I say wicked crazy insanity ;-) )

Molly said...

Back to life, back to the present time,
Back from a fantasy yeah
Tell me now, take the initiative
I'll leave it in your hands until you're ready oh

:)

Take Care

Oly said...

I'm right there with ya back to the daily gind.

Sounds like you had a nice weekend.