Tuesday, August 21, 2007

New CD and Update City

Currently listening to Josh Ritter's new CD - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter. His prior records are phenomenal, and I'm so stoked to have this new one to pour over. I'll attempt to get some sound bites up if possible.
Update, update: still focused on one more 1/2 Iron on Sept 30th. The workouts are a little more focused and a little more intense. I'm currently nursing some tired legs. I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Tonight was the regular Tuesday night group ride and it was pretty obvious I was a little tired. I kept falling off the back and having to fight my way back up. It's embarrassing, but just the way it goes sometimes.
For the last year or so, drivers and cyclists have been in a small war here in The Ham. Cyclists are fighting for their rights to share the road while drivers are writing into the local papers to complain about cyclists taking over the road, blocking traffic, and failing to obey stop signs. Cyclists are writing in as well complaining about careless drivers endangering their lives. Tonight I was able to see examples of both. It's ugly and scary at the same time. Near misses and could've beens are too close for me. I'd love to see our city designate some funds for bike lanes along less traveled roads. Believe me, in Alabama, we have 'em.
With major apologies to my summer loving wife, I think I'm ready for some cooler weather. I do recognize that this undoubtedly means that I'll have to face the torture of my Lauren's cold toes in bed each night, but it'd be worth it to feel a bit of a chill in the air. Until this past Friday, The Ham had seen 10 consecutive days of 100+ degrees temps. I don't want to hear anyone chime in from AZ about their temps. You choose to live in the desert, and you get some mountains and the grand canyon. So no complaining. It's not supposed to be like that here. There's no reason for it to be hotter than what sweet tea can cure. It's the South. That's just the way that it is.
Until later, my best to you all. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

rocketpants said...

Sounds like you are getting some good training in for the 1/2. Sorry to hear the temps are miserable. Never any fun.

Phil said...

Same problems up here in small-town Ontario. Most motorists hate cyclists, and most cyclists are too stubborn to drive defensively. Funny thing is, that I feel much safer riding on the side of a highway with traffic going 70 MPH than I do in town with traffic at 30 MPH.

Crash said...

Don't you love the anti-cyclist? Makes for some interesting rides...

Molly said...

OH THIS HEAT JUST SUCKS!!!!

What is worse is that the air is cranked up everywhere!

I lost someone very special to me when he was hit by a car while riding a road bike. It is the reason that I always write "take care" at the end of my posts, I worry about ya'll!

TAKE CARE