Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thoughts During Training

After this past Saturday's sprint finale, my workouts will now be decidedly longer and more focused on the 1/2 at the end of September. This plan started early on Sunday with a 10 mile run and has continued each day with extended sessions in the pool and on the bike. It's during these longer sessions that I have the chance to actually think and chew on things that I haven't been able to do during more speed oriented sessions.
When my training has been more focused on sprint distance races, my mind is usually focused on the burning in my legs or my lungs. I'm focused on making it to the next light pole on a sprint or staying under a certain time in the pool. My mind goes numb to conserve energy that my legs might need you might say. It kind of shuts down, and that's good to some extent. But now, since distance is more of the focus rather than speed, my mind has woken up and has started stretching it's "legs" again.
Lance Armstrong, who one might say was one of the fiercest competitors in cycling, was asked what he thought about during those long training rides. He replied, "Well, I think about the bike and my ride." That's not me.
Given the right road conditions, the bike is the last thing that's on my mind. Now I do have my days where I just relax and listen to the easy hum of my cadence or my foot falls, but mostly I'm hashing out conflicts, thoughts, or unresolved issues. I've come up with few blog topics along the way as well. Some have been published, and some were better kept to myself.
After sinking myself deeply into training for the last year, I have learned that I'm able to be a better husband after my workouts. Be it for feeling like I've accomplished something for the day, or because I've been able to clear up my head. It seems to take the edge off a bit. Whatever the reason, training has become a psychiatrist's couch for me. Thoughts, feelings, heartache, the good and the bad all find their way to the table. Training has been good for the heart (and gut) as well as the soul.
Now, I have been lucky in that there are very few "issues" that have come my way. For the most part, my life and my marriage have been fairly charmed. I praise God for that. That's His doing not mine. So as of late, my thoughts have generally fairly light hearted.
So, I'm really interested to hear what the general consensus says about where their mind is during training. Are you solely thinking about the task at hand or are you pondering the latest twist on last season's Lost? Are you focused on pace and cadence or are you bouncing around ideas on relationships or matters of faith? Give me a few words if you feel comfortable or just answer the poll on the right. As always, thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Oly said...

Zen......

Donald said...

You read my blog, right? I think about EVERYTHING.

ZBUCK said...

On my long workouts I think about the same things you do. I think about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness, so to speak. I think about my Faith and sometimes even talk to God. It is a great time to reflect for me.

rocketpants said...

I think an equal balance of reflection and a time to let my mind wander and a time to dream. I tend to think a mile a minute under most situations and for some reason when i'm training I can get to a point where I'm just *there*, and relaxed mentally... It's bliss.