Friday, January 05, 2007

Good Week

A new year and a new week for training. I took Monday off to relax and get some things done around the house so no training to speak of. I wasn’t as sore as I thought I’d be after the brick on Sunday. Wednesday was the first day I was able to get in the pool since my ear infection sidelined me a couple of months ago. I’ve finally been given the green light by the Doc, so I hit water. Or should I say it hit me? What a humbling experience. After a short warm up, Coach told me he wanted me to swim 500m all out and time it. I did it in a paltry 8:32. Ouch. That’s 12 seconds slower than my 600m swim in my last race. Right then and there I decided that I wasn’t going to miss another pool session. This has to improve. Today I was able to try it again. I focused on form and felt a lot better. I did it in 8:10. Not good at all, but better. After hill repeats during the week, I was ready just to get out and run today. It was gorgeous at lunch so I took advantage of a lax afternoon and took an extended lunch. I ran 5.75 miles in 42:38. Not breakneck speed, but I was happy with it. While I was running, I was listening to my ipod and thinking about running music. I know there’s a lot with the opinion that real runners don’t listen to music while running, well this runner does. So, here’s a list of songs on my “running” play list.

“Eye of the Tiger” – Survivor (Could this be the best motivating song ever?)
“Lose Yourself” – Eminem (enough said - just go)
“Are You Going to Be My Girl” – Jet (I actually looked like a fool rocking out to this song today. It was so good I had to listen to it twice)
“Ms. Independent” Kelly Clarkson (go ahead and make fun of me now, I’m shameless)
“Home” – Marc Broussard (I decided today to take this song off of my list – too many things going on with the melody. It threw me off my rhythm.)
“Ring of Fire” – Johnny Cash (now this is more like it, simple beat, nothing to think about, just Johnny doing his thing)
“Juicy” Better Than Ezra (I love this band!)
“Thunder Struck” – AC/DC (gritty, helps me run when I’m mad)
“Free Bird” – Lynyrd Skynyrd (Given the right run, this song is great. It’s too slow of a start, but finishes strong – good for a 5K)

Any one have any additions?

That’s all for now. I’ve got a long ride tomorrow, then a day off for good behavior. Latski’s

4 comments:

Crash said...

This is enough to add another 10 miles to the run...

AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Cake - The Distance
Cypress Hill - Wanna Be A Rock Super Star
Drowning Pool - Bodies
Guns N’ Roses - Welcome to the Jung
Limp Bizkit - Nookie
Linkin Park - Faint
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
Megadeth - Paranoid (Black Sabbath Cover)
Metallica - Enter Sandman
My Chemical Romance — I’m not okay (i_promise)-rtb
Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution
Puff Daddy & the Family- Victory (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
Silverchair - Lie To Me
Tool - Schism

and you might want to throw in Chariots of Fire by Vangelis when you start looking inward - moto.

JeffM said...

Wow- I'd be dancing up and down with an 8:32 500. My pb is 9:45 in a race. 8:10 is good.

Neese said...

LOL @ your new profile pic.

Toss in some Fergie, "London Bridge", and from her Black Eyed Peas days, "Lets Get It Started"

and Mary J. Blige, "Family Affair"

Anonymous said...

Good list, except for the Kelly Clarkson...I am not even going to write the derogatory term that came to my mind when I saw that! How can you have Johnny Cash on the same list with Clarkson? He is rolling over in his grave right now! Anyway, I don't think that is as bad a time as you make it out to be. You must be a dolphin if you think that is a "paltry" time. Either that or I am a manatee!