Monday, January 22, 2007

Looking to tap some knowledge

I still consider myself a “newbie” when it comes to triathlons, training, and nutrition. After three years of competing in triathlons, I have only competed in 8 races and am just now getting serious about seeing how far I can push myself. I read anything and everything I can find about competing and training. A man that seems to have the nutrition thing down is Crash. Check out his site for some excellent insight on nutrition, lactate threshold, etc.
Now to my point, I’m always looking for the next best way to fuel and replenish my body during training and racing. While at Homewood Cycle, I picked up Gu’s GU2O sports drink. I usually just keep water or some kind of red Gatorade in the water bottle, but I thought I’d give this stuff a whirl.



With my new drink in tow, I headed off with some buds recently on a training ride. After a few miles, we stopped for a red light so I decide to hydrate. GYAACK!!! Oh, this GU2O tasted like POO! I made a face that brought a few laughs by my fellow riders. Oh man, it was bitter. I’d chosen the lemon lime flavor which isn’t something I particularly like anyway. Nevertheless, I continued to drink it throughout the ride. After all, it was all that I had. I had to learn to hide the grimaces. Despite it’s taste, overall I felt pretty good throughout the ride. Now, this is in 40 degree weather not the 90 plus with 100% humidity weather that I’ll see this summer, but nonetheless it worked. So I give it a D- in taste, but atleast a B+ in performance.
So here’s my question, have any of you found a sports drink that you have found both pleasing to the palate and to the body’s needs?

9 comments:

ZBUCK said...

Matt, I am a real novice at this, so you know to take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I really enjoy Cytomax. They have a sports drink that taste pretty good and I LOVE their gels. The vanilla gels are great and seem to work very well.

Spokane Al said...

I am pretty ease to satisfy when it comes to taste, and having said that I like Cytomaxax Cool Citus, Accelerade Lemon Lime, and Gatorade Lemon Lime.

However, my favorite for long bike rides is Perpetuem mixed with Orange Heed. That way I get my nutrition as well as my liquids.

Neese said...

Hi Matt,

I thought the Clif Shot Drink was nice. I had one of the single serve packs in CranRazz, it's powder and you add it to a bottle of water, i thought it was nice, but to each their own you will have to try it first so don't buy a case based on my opinion! :)

Bullet said...

Thanks guys. I went by the bike shop at lunch and picked up some lemon lime Heed and ordered some Peach and Orange Cytomax packets. We'll see how they do.

seagull junker said...

I can use about anything. Because during an ultra you pretty much have to use whatever they offer. During long rides or runs you really can't survive with just H2O. Fall into Hyponatremic mode here fast in hot weather.

I happen to train with GU2O. The reason is a lot of races out West use it and Western States 100 has it also. (did you mix it too concentrated? Just a thought.)

I have friends that use Cytomax, Succeed, GU2O, Sustained Energy, Perpetum, etc. And take S-caps along the way to maintain electrolyte balance.

Pretty much just find what you like is my guess. Afterall, you are the one that is drinking it. (I have one drink that I don't particularily like also.)

Good luck,
tom riley

rocketpants said...

I am newbie only having competed for the past 3 seasons and the last year I've been more trying out things as my races get longer. If you are looking for something with higher sodium (it's a little light on potassium), but don't like Gatorade Endurance, the Powerbar Endurance lemon lime has been good to me.

I'm pretty cautious when it comes to nutrition because I have a sensitive stomach. But just be careful trying something new...some gels or drinks can cause stomach upset and other unpleasantness. I would be hesitant to try it out on a ride/run without having tried it right after a work-out to see if it upset my stomach or right at the end of a workout (with a gel). But, some people have cast iron stomachs and never have a problem. I'm just a bit more cautious.

Good luck. Nutrition is so much experimentation with trying to figure out what might work for you.

JeffM said...

I use Accelerade Orange for bike rides, with Gatorade as a second bottle on long rides.
For gel I use Power Bar Gel- Strawberry-Banana flavor.

Crash said...

YES! I have you all fooled....Matt - thanks for the props. I prefer Hammer products - stay away from refined sugar and your good.

Dances with Corgis said...

I really like the Powergels in the citrus-y flavors, like Tangerine or Apple. You can get them in double caffine if you are a hedonist such as myself.