Sunday, January 14, 2007

Scars

Lauren and I were talking tonight about scars. Physical scars, not the emotional type. Scars are our body's way of telling a bit of our story. They are a constant reminder of our adventures, our trips and falls, or something stupid we did because we thought the girls might find it cool. Luckily I don't have too many deep scars to show off. I have remnants of strawberries from sliding into second base with shorts on or from wrecking my Haro "freestyle" bike. I have a scar on my finger from where I sliced it open while opening a can of dog food when I was 14. I can still make out the stitch marks. The ugliest scar that I have is on my forearm from scraping it on a hook attached to our back door. The hook was quickly removed while I yelled profanities. I have three tiny scars from when I had my appendix removed. A fraternity brother of mine had his appendix removed the same weekend, but went to a different hospital. This hospital left him with a 6 inch scar across his abdomen. I guess I chose the right hospital. My wife, Lauren, has a few scars from her battles cats. Nothing else scars her as she is tougher than most you'll run across.
Lance Armstrong has a small cavity in his chest to remind him of the catheter the stayed in him during his chemo-therapy. He is very proud of that scar. So if you haven't done so in a while, look back over your scars, physical or emotional, and think about your life and your adventures. Chances are you'll find yourself smiling and remembering good times. Just a reminder, God gave you this life and all that comes with it. Take time to give him the proper thanks too.

3 comments:

JeffM said...

Good post!
I'll take some of the temperatures you had on your bike ride.

Bullet said...

Buck, I did do the brick yesterday. The bike pace was incredible. There were just three of us. From the start Coach took off like his pants were on fire. We ended up finishing with an avg speed of 20 mph. That's cooking it for Birmingham roads. I was a little slower on the run because of that, but overall a good work out. I was spent the rest of the night.

Lauren said...

Yep, I'm tough. Wounds don't stick to me. Ha!