Wednesday, November 22, 2006

ITALY TRIP


Just wanted to share some pictures and some thoughts about my trip this past week. Lauren and I arrived in Rome on Thursday the 16th around 9am. We spent three nights there then took a train to Florence for 2 nights.
While we were there, we attempted to see most of the majors sights and get a good feel of the life there in Italy. Overall, we had a blast. We saw some amazing places. I'm still amazed at the age of the buildings and their condition. Such as the Pantheon, built around 125 A.D. Wow. It's the oldest building in Rome and in incredible condition. The inside was simply amazing.
We visited St. Peter's Basilica on Saturday. I was a little turned off by how opulent and over the top the decorations were. Lots of gold, marble, etc. I know that was the style when it was built, but I really had to wonder if God was really happy with us for this building. Here's the square outside.
Some of my favorite sights were, the Pantheon, The David (in Florence), and the coliseum. The things I didn't enjoy: walking everywhere! (I love my SUV), the pushy beggars (they were mostly clean and well dressed), the cost of everything, and tiny showers. About the expense, the dollar is worth only .75 Euros. On top of that, everything is jacked up for the tourists. $3 waters were not uncommon.
I'm so glad that I went. I had a wonderful time with my wife. She's so amazing and beautiful, and I'm so lucky to have a travel companion like her.

Oh, and the statues. Don't know why, but they impress the hell out of me. Paintings are kind of lost on me. Maybe I'm an idiot, but the statues were incredible. I'd like to have one some day. Maybe of Lance Armstrong or Mr. T or someone. They would definitely have clothes on though. There are too many statues with exposed parts if you ask me.

I'm back in the pool and weight room this afternoon.

No comments: