Saturday, November 04, 2006

Vulcan 10K - mission complete!

This morning was the Vulcan 10K. I woke up around 6 am and starting eating my oatmeal. It took me a while to really wake up. I was so sleepy that I decided to stand up to eat. The morning was a crisp 38 degrees with clear skies. The run would be nice once the sun started shining.
There were a little over 1000 participants running in the race. A decent event for Birmingham. I never felt really good before the race. I don't think it was nerves, but I never really got the pre-race shot of adrenaline. That worried me a bit. I worked my way to the front of the pack before the race started. There's nothing worse than being stuck behind a group of joggers running four wide.
Mile 1: Started well out of the pack. I couldn't really tell my pace, but just ran a comfortable speed to get my legs going. I had the worst feeling you could possibly have during the first mile, I think I have to pee! How could this be? I just went. Oh, I hope I can hold it. I passed the first mile marker at 6:26! Gulp.
Mile 2: I looked back at this other runner and asked if that right? It didn't really feel like full mile. He affirmed that he was on his pace. Still felt good throughout mile 2. I knew that after I hit the 2nd mile marker I'd have to start climbing, so I tried to keep up my speed. Legs felt good. The need to pee went away, so all was fine in that area. Sun was shinning. Temp was just right. Mile 2: 6:47.
Mile 3: I was almost 1:15 under my goal and I knew I'd need the extra time. Over the next mile a half the route gains 150 feet. It was painful. I kept trying to surge and recover, but my surges started looking like my recoveries. Mile 3: 7:51.
Mile 4: Once the terrain leveled off, I knew I had to make up some ground so I started pushing it a bit. This mile winds in and around a really cool section of the south side of B'ham. Highland Ave has a lot of historic plantation homes built by the elite of society around the early 1900's. I say this because, I don't remember seeing one of them. I was focused. Mile 4: 7:20.
Mile 5: Now I get the benefit of a little downhill. I started taking long strides and getting a little air under my feet for a 1/4 mile or so. It gave my lungs a "breather." I was in the straightaway headed back for Downtown. Felt great and I was cruising. Mile 5: 7:02
Mile 6: Despite being so close, fatigue started setting in. I could feel my body start to slump a little. You probably could have pushed me over with a finger at this point. I knew I was so close. Kept pushing. Mile 6: 7:09.
Finishing line: with .2 miles to go to the finish, I knew I would beat my expectations for the race. I did my best to make a strong push for the finish. I made a good showing for the spectators as I sprinted across the finish line at 44:03. What a relief.
Wow, great race. I felt like I ran just about as well as I could have. My time really shocked me. I never really felt the adrenaline surge, which worried me that I might not run well. Things worked out though and now I can relax for a few days. Training officially starts Tuesday for the 1/2 Ironman.

2 comments:

rocketpants said...

Awesome Job!! That's great. Sometimes we just surprise ourselves with results. Great work.

ZBUCK said...

You da man! Sounds like you ran a great race. COngrats. Now it's TRI time!