Saturday, November 25, 2006

Saturday Ride - Cahaba Heights

Wow, had a great ride this morning. I met a group over at Cahaba Cycles in Cahaba Heights for a 7:30 am group ride. I'd never ridden with this group so I was nervous about being able to stay with them on the road. They announced that we'd be ridding a 42 mile loop. This was slightly daunting as well as I had never ridden over 30 miles at one time. Well, the temp in the parking lot was 46 degrees. I felt that I was dressed warm enough, but after a couple of miles we dropped into a valley that was in the shade and the temp dropped about ten degrees. My face immediately froze, and I lost all feeling in my toes. I decided right then and there that I needed to buy some toe covers.
The route took us through some farm communities and back roads. The weather turned out to be just right after a few more miles. I enjoyed meeting these guys and they kept a pace that I was comfortable riding. Some times you'll get in groups like this and everyone puffs their chests out and sees who can pee in the tallest grass, but this group was very easy going and easy to get along with.
I nearly had my first wreck today. We were only about a mile from the end of the ride, and I was going around a curve going down a hill. I over compensated for the curve and found a big rut off the shoulder. I let out a few cuss words, my handle bars bent forward, and I braced for impact just knowing that I'd flatted both of my tires. To my surprise, I stayed on the bike and both tires were still with me. It scared the crap out of me to say the least. Not a good way to end a ride, but I'm glad we were close to the end, because I was a little jittery after that.
So the stats on the day ended up being only 38 miles, avg HR was 143. Not bad. I'm going to feel it tomorrow. I hope not too much, because per my coach, I've got another hour and half ride to do tomorrow followed by a 3 mile run. I'm going to stretch now.

3 comments:

Neese said...

sounds like toe covers would make a great stocking stuffer! sorry about your close call glad it didn't turn out badly.

JeffM said...

It's hard to ride when it's that cold, but necessary. Good distance too.

ZBUCK said...

Yep, I am still alive, at least for the moment. My blogging has been hampered by my training regime. Going to the gym twice a day, during a work day, just doesn't leave much time, or energy, for anything else. Anyway, it sounds like the trip to Italy was awesome! I have been to Italy, but didn't get to experience it with someone I loved, so you are lucky you got to see it with your wife. Talk to you later. Zbuck