Sunday, November 12, 2006

Two State Parks in One Day

This weekend I headed up to Cheaha State Park with some gents from my community group from church . We found a good spot away from the crowd and set in the night. Temps were in the low 30's, high 20's. Perfect camping weather. It was so good to sit around the campfire, drink a few beers, and really get to know the guys. Conversations ranged from favorite movies, books, football, and then faith. It's reassuring hearing how these guys struggle in the same areas that I do. I believe God redeems us through relationships, and I'm so glad I had the chance to spend this time with these guys.
So, this morning we broke camp and headed to Cracker barrel. Cracker barrel on Sunday morning in small town Alabama is a sight. I forget how different Birmingham is from the rest of the state. Memaws and PaPaws lined the rocking chairs in front of the store as countless others shopped for worthless swag. Oohs and ahs could be heard as two gray hairs admired an "authentic Tennessee quilt." that was probably made in Taiwan.
After breakfast, I headed home and after a short nap headed to Oak Mountain State Park which is considerably closer and for a bike ride. Despite sucking in campfire smoke all night, I felt pretty good on the bike. Legs were good, lungs held strong. I was able to try out my new HRM. I averaged 19.1 miles per hour on the ride and my heart rate averaged 168 bpm. Looking forward to figuring out how to really benefit from it, but it was fun to play with. Tomorrow I'm in the pool for 700 yard as fast as I can go. We'll see how it goes.
Oh yeah, I'm headed to Italy in a couple of days. Gotta start packing.

4 comments:

ZBUCK said...

That's funny...I have the same workout today. What does the rest of your week look? I trulyhope it isn't the same, because I can tell that you and I are not in the same category cardio-wise.

Bullet said...

I've got to do a spin class tomorrow. The only one I can make is at 5:40 am! I can work out early, but can I spin at 5:40? Then I have to run 4 miles tomorrow at increasing intervals. Haven't looked at the rest of the week since I'll be on vacation. Where have you been? Give us some updates on your training. Arkansas is something else eh?

ZBUCK said...

No doubt and Ark is only going to get better the next couple of years!

I am spinning tomorrow morning at 5:30 also. I did it last week and let me tell you...it sucks! I then do a 20 minute run at increasing intervals, I usually cover 2.5 miles. So I guess it is in the run that we differ, so other than that our schedules look similar.

Yeah, I have been lax on the posting, but I am back on today and will be doing a training update tonight.

JeffM said...

That sounds awfully cold, but with a fire probably good.
Good average on the bike.
Italy?