Sunday, December 10, 2006

2 Runs and a Ride with a Pro

The weekend has gone pretty well training wise despite the chilly weather and Christmas parties thrown in. I took advantage of the warmest part of the day on Friday (43 degrees) and ran my prescribed 5 miles during lunch. I knew there was no way I was going to want to run after work if the temperature continued to drop. On Saturday, I waited until the mid afternoon to ride. The temp was supposed to get in the 50's which sounded just perfect for a good long ride. My riding buddy was still Christmas shopping with his wife (where are his priorities?) so I was on my own for the ride. I took off from the house and after a few miles caught a glimpse of another rider heading off in the direction I was going. I caught up to him at a stop light and asked where he was heading. He said that he was just finishing up. He'd already done 56 and had downed a cup of coffee. After a short talk, he changed his mind and agreed to ride some more with me. We headed off through Mtn Brook toward Old Leeds Road which is a popular spot for cyclists as the road is long and fairly straight. Starting off, I took the lead on a hill and did my best to keep up a good pace. He was right there with me the whole time. We started talking again and I caught his name. I knew who he was as soon as he said his first name. He's a local who competes in Tri's and Duathlons professionally. It all made sense. So I thought "great, he's going to kill me on this road." For the first couple of miles I stayed with him. I took the lead and pushed the speed up to put on a good show, but at the first hill I lost it. It was all I could do not to coast for a while. He took the lead and I nearly dropped off completely. I pushed it hard to get back in his draft so I could rest a bit, but just doing that wore me out. Mercifully he slowed down a bit to talk. He said he was going to turn back at the next road. He said his legs were "spent." Keeping up appearances, I thanked him for riding with me for a little while and took off on a hard pace as he turned around. I've got a lot to work on before I can keep up with the big boys. Nice guy.
Today was my long run. 9 miles. I was a little apprehensive about the run today since my knee was aching after 8 last Sunday, but I thought I'd give it a try. Just moderate pain throughout the run. Just a little discomfort, but I am going to make a point to stay off of it for a few days. Over all the run went well. DCavin ran the last 3 with me which was helpful. Cardio wise, I felt like I could run for days. I could tell I needed to take some fuel with me next time. My energy level was low during the last miles.
By the way, did anyone happen to catch the Ironman World Championship from Hawaii on TV this weekend. Wow! A two hour spot on TV for Ironman. Loved every bit of it. I'd love to be there one day. Buck, you're going to have to get there this year without me, but I'll be extremely jealous.

5 comments:

ZBUCK said...

I thought McCormick seemed like a punk, because it was mentioned that alot of pros didn't like him because he was so cocky, at least when he first started a few years ago. Anyway, too bad you can't come to Orlando, it will be fun. I am just excited about see the atmosphere at a big event. I bet you can feel the adrenaline in the air! So what is going to be your first race next year?

Bullet said...

Ah, the first race will be the Mercedes 1/2 Marathon in Feb. The first tri isn't until May, but I have a Duathlon and another running race mixed in before. I need to post my dates soon.

ZBUCK said...

I like the new look!

JeffM said...

Febuary is not that far away!
That was cool about the guy riding with you.
Did you see the nun who was 76 or 86 and doing her 20th ironman?

Bullet said...

Yeah, I saw her. I was so impressed that she finished. She was something. Think of all the people that didn't finish that were 20,30 years her junior!