Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tough Run

Per my training guide, I was supposed to spend 45 minutes on a trainer today, but yawn.. excuse me, I had better plans. This 45 minutes was supposed to include some focus on my technic with no resistance. Did they not know how beautiful it was outside. Was I supposed to spend my afternoon at the gym? Well, I took out on my own. I ran 8 miles today. Haven't done that in a while. I'm still planning on running my first 1/2 marathon in Feb. and I've been a little concerned that I haven't been putting the miles in running wise. I'm on the bike 4 times a week and in the pool three times. So far, I've only had to do moderate paced runs of 3 or 5 miles. My goal for the 1/2 is to finish in 1:45. That would be just over a 7:40 pace, I think. So today I took off and finished 8 miles in 1 hour, which is about where I need to be. That was encouraging. What concerns me is that my knees started aching a bit. Don't know if it was distance or if it's time for some new kicks. Maybe I made that second one up. I haven't run that much recently so hopefully, their not wearing down under the stress. Tomorrow is an off day so let's see how they feel after a good rest.

4 comments:

JeffM said...

Probably the change in distance- knees weren't used to it. That's still a really good time for 8 miles.

rocketpants said...

Great 8 miles!! Keep the training up. Good luck training for a 7:40 pace (i think that'd put you in around 1:40 for a 1/2). That's great!

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement on training and such...more likely i'm over-trained in school right now with the stress.

keep in there!

ZBUCK said...

You made me feel better with the Dreamland story. I always felt bad for my one or two meals a week breakdown! I ususally fall off the wagon miserably once or twice a week, so to see that I am not the only one takes some of the guilt away. Sounds like a great run! My knees hurt at any distance over 3 miles, but since I have only fun longer than 3 twice, then hopefully it will just take my body some getting used too. I used to hurt at 3 miles, so I think it just takes adjustments. One more thing, thanks for destroying my dreams of qualifying for the World Championships. I actually knew it would never happen, but to think it might be possible if I had an outstanding day was good motivation. I didn't know you had to win!

Pete (Bib# 70) Hagen said...

You're right on track for the 1/2 marathon! Stay strong, stay well!! You're going to do great things!!!!