Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Time to get back on Track

Count 'em off: Thanksgiving, gone! Office Parties, bye bye. 12 days of Christmas parties, see-ya! Christmas breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all that snacking in between, poof! Be gone! Oh and left overs? You don't exist at this house. Eating is so difficult to manage over the holidays. Oh and I made the most of it. I took advantage of every sausage ball, every cheese dip, and every cookie with sprinkles on it that I could find. Enough is enough. It's time to get back on track. It's time to really start seeing some results and get ready for Triathlon season. It's starts today.
I started the day off with protein, chicken and salad at lunch, low carbs at dinner, and small snacks in between. Not perfect, but it was better than the past three weeks. We were traveling today so I did the best I could.
I made it out for a quick run today. The sun was still out, but the temp was dropping quickly. I didn't feel like doing the prescribed hill repeats so I decided to run three miles through a hilly section of town at a quick pace. I managed to do 3.25 miles in 22:11 which puts my time at a 6:48 pace. Not too bad. My knee felt great which is encouraging. Tomorrow will be hill repeats on the bike. You know I'm really enjoying my time on the bike these days. Didn't think I'd ever get to that point. Bad news ahead though, the long ride I was planning on doing on Saturday will be rained out more than likely. Maybe if I had a trainer like someone I know, I'll call "BZuck", it wouldn't be so bad. But alas, instead of training on my own bike, I'll be in the freaking gym. Yeah me.
I picked up two books for Christmas. Lance Armstrong's "It's Not About the Bike" and "J. Edgar Hoover" by Curt Gentry. I started reading the book on Hoover this weekend. With each page I am becoming more and more disenfranchised with our country's actions following the first World War. The sinister actions of a few have forever put a black mark on the history of how our great nation handled emigrants and those seeking freedom. I'll post more on this as I read more, but needless to say J. Edgar will not make my list of heroes.

6 comments:

ZBUCK said...

Have you gotten to the point where they talk about Hoover being a cross-dresser? That will really throw you for a loop! Anyway, I don't have the 11 mile run in me for several reasons:

1. My knee started hurting after 1 mile today.
2. I am not driving to B'ham.
3. It is New Year's Day and I have alot of football to watch over the next 2 days, not too mention bourbon and beer to drink.

I am riding my trainer for the first time tomorrow morning, so I will post about how AWESOME it is!!

Crash said...

Wait 'till after New Years and then you can officially get back on track.
And about Hoover - there is probably a reason why they named the vacuum cleaner after him...

Deb said...

Stumbled on your blog and have to day there are some pretty funny posts! Did you like SF? It's a great city. Mobile and the family shot looks great. You are a lucky man. Best of luck in the New Year! (and stay away from the cheese balls!)

Bullet said...

Deb,
I actually stole that pic of the alcatraz tri from SI. I have been to SF though and loved it. The Wharf area was my favorite. Can't see myself swimming in the water there. Don't see how you Northwesterners do it.

Crash said...

I like the stuff by EAS "myoplex" or "myoplex lite" . you can by it in a box of 100 - but it does get old after a while...I can only handle so many shakes.

Papa Louie said...

Gotta love the holidays. All that good eating. Good luck with getting back on track.